Ubisoft Massive claims The Division PC version "won't be a port"

Russ Boswell

Ubisoft Massive has said it plans to fully utilize the capabilities of the PC platform for its upcoming title, The Division. This isn't just going to be another PC/console port in which the computer-based finished product ends up looking hastily tossed together, or doesn't unlock its true visual potential. That's great news for anyone interested in the next-gen action game, especially after getting a glimpse at the visually stunning Snowdrop-engine teaser trailer that was unveiled at VGX 2013.

Snowdrop will allow developers to create some incredible eye candy, with immense detail and movie quality lighting effects. All of this, will of course look and interact better on PCs. "As you know, Massive has its roots in PC development. We are working hard and we want to make sure that we have a very high quality experience on PC," wrote the developer in a blog post. "You can be sure that our PC version won’t be a port, but a full-fledged, optimized version! We want to create the best game possible regardless of what platform you play on."

Ubisoft Massive also talked briefly about the destruction tools featured in the engine. The VGX trailer showcases a car mirror and windshield being shot, and the impressive detail allows the glass to crack and break as bullets penetrate its exterior. This particular part of the engine is something that Massive is very excited about, and developers state that "when glass shatters or wood splinters, it will mimic reality like you've never seen before." It's going to be very interesting to see just how realistic these types of elements are when developers are ready to release the finished product.

For now though, PC fans can rejoice in the fact that Massive is taking their system of choice very seriously and although this game will be a cross-platform release, developers won't allow the true potential of the Snowdrop engine to be wasted.

Permalink to story.

Knowing Ubisoft, I am going to sit back and wait and see. got burnt enough times by them. last time with Assassins III, worst optimization ever.

Jizz, in, my, pants! God I so want this game, deffo something new and refreshing. I might actually get a console for this as well, depending if some irls play this.

I have said it before, not only is PC Gaming not dead, its actually coming back stronger. No matter how great people will say consoles are, no one can argue against PC gaming. The only excuse they use to have was that consoles were cheaper but now that you can build a PC within the same price range and get all the benefits of a PC on top of gaming, not to mention getting games that will never make it to console (like Starcraft II) plus getting games and dirt cheap prices (just look at Steam's sales), it seems PC Gaming has nothing to worry about.

This is great news (for PC gamers) on the eve of the new consoles releasing. The PS4 and XBox1 are already outdated before little jonny even opens his new console for Christmas.
I was a big fan of the series until I dropped good money on that mess hence I'm avoiding AC IV like the plague. The series need to go back to it's roots and a more interesting time in history. Not that the golden age of pirates wasn't interesting, it's just not AC.

I hope the 890's come out the same time this game comes out as I would LOVE to get 2 890's to run this bad boy with, I can not wait until I can get my hands on it :D This game looks amazing I am gonna be playing this game for 24/7 for a 7 days!

I have said it before, not only is PC Gaming not dead, its actually coming back stronger. No matter how great people will say consoles are, no one can argue against PC gaming. The only excuse they use to have was that consoles were cheaper but now that you can build a PC within the same price range and get all the benefits of a PC on top of gaming, not to mention getting games that will never make it to console (like Starcraft II) plus getting games and dirt cheap prices (just look at Steam's sales), it seems PC Gaming has nothing to worry about.
You can get PCs that will play all the console games and more for the price, true, but you lose the convenience of a console as well as CONSISTENT performance (thats better than a PC for the same price due to static hardware) without having to mess with graphic settings.

I would agree that PC gaming is much more viable now for many more people but console gaming still has advantages.

I wouldn't call static hardware an advantage as it forces one into using already outdated hardware for a period of ten years. The only advantage console gaming has is facilitating ones laziness and I don't think I am overstepping any bounds in saying that, that isn't really an advantage.

I wouldn't call static hardware an advantage as it forces one into using already outdated hardware for a period of ten years. The only advantage console gaming has is facilitating ones laziness and I don't think I am overstepping any bounds in saying that, that isn't really an advantage.
True it forces one upon outdated hardware. But why does it matter when games can be coded for one set of hardware to run better?
Try running battlefield 3 on the hardware equivelant of the xbox 360 in a PC. it wont work.
Thus allowing for cheaper consoles to run equivelant games.

Back