UltraSn0w lets you use the iPhone 4 with other carriers

Jos

Staff

Just two days after the iPhone Dev Team made it possible for iPhone owners to install unsanctioned applications on their devices, a new version of their carrier unlock tool ultrasn0w is now ready for prime time. The unlock tool allows jailbroken handsets to be used on carriers not approved by Apple -- provided that they use a compatible network, of course. In the U.S. that alternative is T-Mobile, but unfortunately its network can only achieve 2G/Edge speeds on the iPhone.

The new ultrasn0w 1.0-1 software unlock supports iPhone 4 (01.59 baseband), iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS (basebands 04.26.08, 05.11.07, 05.12.01, and 05.13.04). To run the carrier unlock, users must be on a jailbroken handset and have the Cydia Store app installed. Then, you need to add ultransn0w 1.0-1 from the repository by going to Cydia> Manage> Sources> Add and typing in "https://repo666.ultrasn0w.com" in the pop up window. Once that's added, search for ultrasn0w, install the app, and let your phone restart.

As usual, before doing this remember to backup your device just to be safe. Non-U.S. iPhone buyers can avoid going through all that trouble, however. Apple is currently selling the iPhone 4 unlocked in as much as fourteen countries. This handy info-graphic compares the various out-of-contract prices of the handset around the globe.

Permalink to story.

Thats a little rubbish for you guys, t-mobile here in the UK offers full 3G/HSDPA speeds!

That said, the UK is a pin-head sized speck in comparison with the United States! :D

Why couldn't the iPhone be used on Sprint or Verizon in the US? Both have a 3G network. I don't see why it is only T-Mobile. Please explain.

Why couldn't the iPhone be used on Sprint or Verizon in the US? Both have a 3G network. I don't see why it is only T-Mobile. Please explain.

Is it the network frequencies?

I don't know what bands the US use, but I would stab a guess that this is the issue.

Verizon has a special type of sim card coding, Nobody cares enough for sprint to waste time hacking their crappy service (no offense if you are a sprint user).

AT&T and T-mobile have similar sim card codes and are made from the same manufacture ( if you ever noticed) so it is easier to just add a code to switch it. The only problem is T-mobile sim cards burn out faster than AT&T sim cards which is why the AT&T sim card hack to T-mobile service is in prompt order.

Cause Knowledge is Power *Star Wipe* :D

Wendig0 said:

It's a matter of type of communication protocol that is used. AT&T and T-Mobile both are based off GSM originally, and share common traits: GSM, GPRS, EDGE protocols

Verizon comes down the CDMA line, and uses EV-DO.

The choice in protocols is one of the reasons AT&T tends to have more "international friendly" phones, and Verizon's choice in protocols is the reason you can't do voice and data simultaneously over their connections.

kyosuke said:
Verizon has a special type of sim card coding, Nobody cares enough for sprint to waste time hacking their crappy service (no offense if you are a sprint user).

AT&T and T-mobile have similar sim card codes and are made from the same manufacture ( if you ever noticed) so it is easier to just add a code to switch it also the sims are made by the same company. The only problem is T-mobile sim cards burn out faster than AT&T sim cards which is why the AT&T sim card hack to T-mobile service is in prompt order.

Cause Knowledge is Power *Star Wipe* :D

Ok, well that makes sense, and no, I'm not a Sprint customer... lol

I used T-Mobile in the past when I got my first blackberry, but now I use Verizon. I don't care much about the iPhone anyway because I have a droid x (which imo blows the iphone away), though I was curious. Thanks for explaining that.

Vrmithrax said:
Wendig0 said:

It's a matter of type of communication protocol that is used. AT&T and T-Mobile both are based off GSM originally, and share common traits: GSM, GPRS, EDGE protocols

Verizon comes down the CDMA line, and uses EV-DO.

The choice in protocols is one of the reasons AT&T tends to have more "international friendly" phones, and Verizon's choice in protocols is the reason you can't do voice and data simultaneously over their connections.

Cool... ty

kyosuke said:

Sprint and Verizon are partners in a roaming agreement. Essentially they share customers on each others network. So there's no real sacrifice by signing with Sprint and taking a lower monthly bill, because you're still backed by America's best network carrier (Verizon) and if you're in a Sprint 4G area, you just made a lot of guys who care about performance jealous. But don't share this secret, because if Sprint was to get enough customers that they were rolling in the dough, they might turn into an AT&T and suck balls.

Sprint & Verizon do not use SIM cards. These carriers support CDMA which is a North American sim card-less standard.

@kyosuke

Lol dude what the hell are you talking about? You don't even know what you just said.

--

Anyway, Vrmithrax seems to have covered what I was about to say.

The very much anticipated Ultrasn0w carrier unlock is now available for the iPhone 4.---Nice!!! So great and fast, Cydia are doing the work after jailbreakme release without a stop!
Hmm, for those 3GS unlock, ifunia gives some more insight, just turn to this "Unlock iPhone 3GS Baseband on iOS 4 with UltraSn0w" in iFunia iPhone column.

FYI - T-Mobile US has 3G/HSDPA but the iPhone does not support T-Mobile 3G frequencies. This is the reason why you will only get 2G/EDGE with unlocked iPhone on T-Mobile. The speed is limited by device hardware not T-Mobile network structure. If you or someone in UK can use any iPhone on T-Mobile 3G, please let us know. 8)

Check here for more detailed explanation - http://www.thebuzzmedia.com/3g-iphone-may-not-work-on-t-mobile-3g-network/

This is pretty much the same scenario if using any 3G phone from T-Mobile on AT&T or vice-versa. I have yet to see any phone that will support 3G on both US networks (AT&T and T-Mobile).

Back