Unability To Connect To Internet After Upgrading To Ad-Aware 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

JDJD

Hello Everyone.

OS System: Windows XP, Zonealarm Firewall, Spybot, Avast Antivirus, Ad-Aware 2007.

My DSL connection went dead after I upgraded to Ad-Aware 2008.

I then proceeded to remove Ad-Aware 2008 and was still unable to connect.

I then proceeded to disable Zonealarm and was then able to connect again...I then removed Zonealarm completley.

I ran Spybot after the upgrade and it said there were some inconpatibilities with it and Ad-Aware 2008.

The reason I installed all the security software is for security reasons as well as to block the huge amount of pop up windows that were showing up while using Internet Explorer.

I'm going to start using Firefox instead for obvious reasons.

I just thought I could gain some insight via this thread on any reasons why my DSL connection went dead after the Ad-Aware upgrade?

Will I be able to use Ad-Ware 2008 and Zonealarm together again after I start using Firefox?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Have A Good One.

So that was it?
I thought it was.
The new version of Zone Alarm does not have the issue
ie you do not need to remove any MS updates

I thanked you before I followed those instructions but that did indeed do the trick...I deleted that update and went ahead and got the new version of Zonealarm...I also went ahead and switched my browser to Firefox and everything seems to be working better than ever.

It was just kinda weird how this happened the day after I upgraded to Ad-Aware 2008...But now I remember that that update occured around the same time.

Do you think it will be ok to start using Ad-Aware 2008 again?

Yes Ad-Aware 2008 is good, no issue with this program
Be aware though that all these Startup programs do slow your computer down

As a test run t h i s program, and untick all startup links (and check all the menu tabs too)
Then restart, that's what it's like (how fast it is) all off.

You can then re-run the program, and tick what you want back on
Restart, back to Normal

It is a rare thing to have a 'coincidence'. But I think your update/upgrade download of AdAware 2008 'coincided' with the problem MS Windows Update and since you also have ZoneAlarm, you also had the problem caused by the combination!

A tip you might find useful: Take Windows Updates off of Automatic. Instead, choose either 'download but don't install' or 'don't download or install, notify me'. Then choose the Custom Install instead of Express, check each update, determine if you want/need it and act accordingly. Doing this will help you keep track of the updates and suspect them in the future should problems be noted.

Within hours of the KB951748 update, it was all over the internet that people couldn't connect. It was realized that they all had ZoneAlarm also and so a resolution was eventually recommended.

It is a rare thing to have a 'coincidence'. But I think your update/upgrade download of AdAware 2008 'coincided' with the problem MS Windows Update and since you also have ZoneAlarm, you also had the problem caused by the combination!

A tip you might find useful: Take Windows Updates off of Automatic. Instead, choose either 'download but don't install' or 'don't download or install, notify me'. Then choose the Custom Install instead of Express, check each update, determine if you want/need it and act accordingly. Doing this will help you keep track of the updates and suspect them in the future should problems be noted.

Within hours of the KB951748 update, it was all over the internet that people couldn't connect. It was realized that they all had ZoneAlarm also and so a resolution was eventually recommended.

Thanks for the help Bobbye.

However, being how I'm just an average user, it would be hard for me to figure out what updates I need and what I don't need.

I always assume that if windows has an update for my OS (XP) than it would be in my best interest to do so....I mean I would have never guessed that the KB951748 update would take out my internet connection with me using Zonealarm.

I think that your saying that by changing the way I update windows that I can keep track of my updates sort of 'after the fact'?

You can always 'keep track' of the updates this way:
Control Panel> Add/Remove Programs> CHECK 'show updates'> the updates will be listed in date order toward the bottom.

Unfortunately, Microsoft tends to send updates that are not always 'critical'- an example would be IE7. This was included in the updates, although it was not an update for IE6. It was a new and different version. Some didn't like it and they should have been given a choice up front as it did not have to be installed.

I prefer to encourage users to take responsibility for what goes on their systems. One way to do this is is changing the way updates are handled as I recommended. But that is a decision you must make. No one knew when they got the KB951748 that it would cause the problem. But knowing which updates are on a system would lead a user to know which one might need to be uninstalled or, in the case of the ZoneAlarm problem, to update the newer version "after" the fact.

Yes

But be assured that the fault was not to do with With Windows Security Update on Internet Explorer. Or Internet Explorer what so ever.

Put it this way, I install all Windows Security Updates including KB951748 update without issue.

The fault was caused by ZoneAlarm's program. Once Zone Alarm was aware of this fault within their program only, they immediately stopped all downloads to ZoneAlarm, then updated their program, and then allowed the new version of ZoneAlarm to be downloaded.

Note: It is still highly advised to continue to do Windows Updates (Which had nothing to do with ZoneAlarm's faulty program, except to make ZoneAlarm aware of this fault)
Even ZoneAlarm has stated "Once you have installed the new version of your product go to "start > windows update" and re-install the Microsoft patch"

That was a right pain in the butty,

I even rang my provider lolol because I thought they were 'down' . So tech went through things with me and said put machine in safemode it must be your machine. (He tried to checked things in *run ->regedit * but because he put me in safemode the *run* text could'nt fit on the screen. He then argued with me that it must be there (run)

I then ended the conversation in frustration at stupid tech help.

I still was'nt happy with tech so rang again when I actually got a 'good one' this time and he told me about the patch..pheeeeeew..crikey.

I removed the offending update from add and remove, got the patch and hey presto.

One last comment about 'tech help'. I think that some times we see more in the 'field' than they do at their desk. This is not the first time a tech wasn't aware of a current problem users were having. An example> when some began using IE7, the found they could use some of the functions of the HP Image Director. We heard about this 'in the field' an also hear from many who had contacted HP about the problem. Eventually HP put out a patch and all was well, but initially their techs didn't suspect this conflict.

I agree Bobbye, this site TechSpot (having members in the field) is way better than any of the ISPs advice.

I think it was Raybay who commented on another thread that the ISP is only concerned about the account, the Modem and the connection.
They are normally not interested in editing the registry or any other user software, except to say things like exit your firewall.

@tinkerbelle
I removed the offending update from add and remove, got the patch and hey presto.
Um did you even read my post just above yours?
The MS update was not at fault

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back