Unable to see mp3 player as a drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

harken

One of my computers will not recognize my mp3 player as a drive. When I plug in the player, I get the "found new hardware, MTP media player" balloons, but it will not show up in "my computer" windows explorer. It does appear as a device under Windows Portable Devices in device manager and there are no USB conflicts. It does show up fine on my other computer. Any suggestions?

It's probably formatted as a differnet file system, i.e. Fat32 instead of NTSF. you should be able to drill into it from disk Manager if you're running XP.

I have another computer running the same XP Pro OS and it will show up fine on that one. In addition, my older iriver juskebox will show up as expected on the computer I'm having problems with. Could you expand on the disk mager reference?

Thanks

kind of a side question to this thread --- I just got an Ipod shuffle and installed Itunes and it works great. just wondering if there is a way to display it as a removable device so I can store more than just music on it. this might not even be possible, but I was just wondering...

Harken, make sure Removable storage is enabled in services. Start/Run/type "services.msc" (no quotes).

brad: have you plugged it into the PC using a USB port?

yeah, it's one of those deals that has the USB built in to the device so you don't need any extra cables. It will recognize it as removable storage but then I can only see it in ITunes...

brad: you may need to assign a drive letter for your shuffle, find your way to disk management (instructions are somewhere above) and see if you can locate it there, right click and properties and assign letter or some similar.

Thanks for the suggestions, but removable storage is enabled. I think it has something to do with the mp3 palyer being "Windows Media Compliant" - plug and pray. My old iriver jukebox and my old san disk mp3 player are seen as a drive, but he new mp3 player is not seen. My other computer does id the new player. Some bug between the new mp3 player and this computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back