Unable to set up network...

Status
Not open for further replies.

t13nif

Massive apologies for what i am sure is a simple question. I have a desktop with Windows 2000 Pro and a laptop with XP Home. Desktop is connected with Ethernet cable to DSL modem through a linksys WRT54G router, and laptop connects wirelessly. Neither computer sees the other. Workgroup names are the same. I am missing something very simple, i know it. Could someone walk me through the steps? Thanks in advance.

Howdie,

I am very well experienced in Win98SE and XPhome wireless and wired networking. I am not experienced in Win2000. If you still need some assistance let me know. I'll be on the forum throughout the night.

FireDoc

I definitely need help. I am trying to use the network wizard on the desktop to set up the network but nothing seems relevant. There doesn't seem to be an option to have a wireless connection. All the options are wired ones. It's driving me around the bend, as i don't think it should be this difficult.

Hi Again,

Some simple questions...

1 do both computers see the internet

2 is this a new setup with the two computers or had this been working once before

3 confirm the following on both computers. Right Click on My Computer. Left Click Properties. Left click Computer Name. Does Computer Description, Full Computer Name and Workgroup have information in their entry fields? Keep names simple, short and no spaces or characters other than letters and numbers. Computer Description is for humans to understand (I named mine Doc), every computer will have a different description. Full Computer Name is what windows uses, every computer will have a different name - again short, simpe - letters and numbers (Mine is S1). Workgroup - always short letters and numbers in capital letters!!! all computers will have the same description.

make changes as necessary. windows does not reconfigure itself well on restarts. turn off computers for 5 minutes and then turn on. does it work?

if not let me know... there are only about 999 other things we can do.

Good Luck - FireDoc

Quick note --- DO NOT USE NETWORK SET UP WIZARD. we will setup manually.

I have a WRT54GS router here... it very close to your 54G... so we can work through this.

FireDoc

Thanks,
In answer to your questions....
1) yes, both computers can see the internet

2) no, this is a new set-up , i have never had these two computers networked before

3) Desktop's name is "T13nif" and the workgroup is "WORKGROUP".
Laptop's name is "JJ" and the workgroup is "WORKGROUP".

I did not need to change any of these settings, and no, they still cannot see each other :(

OK, i'm not too sure how i did it, but i have been able to network my computers. In any case, my laptop can see and access my desktop and i can now transfer files...

I do wish i knew what i did though, lol!!

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back