Unable to start up, need help troubleshooting hardware

To start things off, About a week ago, I noticed I could not restart my computer. It would power down but not power back up. I would have to press the power button to "power it off" and press again and it would start up properly.

Now however, I cannot start the computer up. The power button glows blue when the power is on, and in this case, the blue light is still active. After pressing power to start, the light comes on, I hear some normal computer sounds, but no screen shows on monitor. The blue light stays on, but nothing occurs. the sounds inside seem to stop as well, or at least get quite quiet. the computer is nearing 5 years old so I wouldn't expect part failure but I am more than certain that is the cause.

First thoughts were the processor, power supply, mother board, or even RAM are the culprits. However, with my past experience, bad ram leads to blue screens which I have almost never had. And due to the blue light and initial sounds, the power supply should be ok.

Unless I am wrong this leaves cpu and motherboard.

If anyone can offer me troubleshooting tips, I would be appreciative.

Best Regards,
Dan

Regardless of any lights swap the power supply first. Its cheaper than a motherboard, and CPU's hardly ever fail... after swapping the power supply, if you pull out all the memory the system should beep. if no beeping, the motherboard could be bad

NEVER REMOVE OR INSTALL any computer hardware with the power on. With the computer off remove the memory. Turn the computer on and the beeping should happen quickly

Back