Unable to start Windows Vista. Start up recovery producing error message

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me with an issue I'm having in Vista.

I was trying to navigate to a webpage in Chrome, and then webpages started to refuse to load past a certain point (e.g. the tab would show the page's title, but the tab itself would be entirely blank). When this happened my computer started to freeze for periods of time, after which it would do whatever I had told it to (e.g. I clicked the "x" to close Chrome, which it did after several minutes) for about a second then freeze again.

I decided to restart the PC by holding down the power button. When I turned the PC back on I got the screen saying that one or more of my disks needed to be checked for errors, but I told it to skip the disk check (bad idea, I know, but I was in a terrible mood at the time and wasn't thinking too straight). The computer then froze on that screen, so I restarted it again.

After restarting it the startup repair program ran, as Windows would not start, and took a while checking for errors before asking whether I want to run system restore, which I do. After running system restore it gives me an error message saying:

"The instruction at 0x737e989e referenced memory at 0x00000000. The memory could not be read."

I then click on "OK" and the computer goes to a screen with six recovery tools on it (Startup Repair, System Restore, Windows Complete PC Restore, Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, Command Prompt and Recovery Manager). Startup repair just does the same thing as I've described above, and when I run System Restore it gives me an error message saying that System Restore did not complete successfully, with these details:

"System restore failed due to an unspecified error.
The file exists (0x80070050)."

Now, I have since restarted my PC again, and gotten both error messages again. The first number in the first error message seems to change (it originally said "0x737e989e" but the second time it was "0x7409989e") but the other numbers stay the same (the second one in the first error message is always "0x00000000" and the number in the system restore error message is always "0x80070050").

The PC in question is an HP laptop running Windows Vista, which is up to date.

I have also run the Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool, which did not find any errors.

Do you have any ideas as to what the problem is and how to solve it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I don't the BSOD, no.

I'm able to access my computer fine using an Ubuntu CD, so it's definitely a problem with the OS.

I think I'm just going to buy Windows 7; I've been meaning to get it for the past few months but I've never had any trouble with Vista that would justify buying it, until now.

Back