Unable to Start windows XP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulldogs

Where to begin:

I have been using from Gateway 710XL PC for nearly 18 months without a problem. I turned it on the other evening and received the following message:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System32/Drviers/Ntfs.sys

You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup.......

Well, I attempted to use the repair feature of the setup cd, it informed that it could not perform the repair because my system did not have any hard drives. I have tried to reseat the cables, this didn't work.

I also noticed when booting, the information provided on my RAID 0 informed me that an error occurred with both drives which are Maxtor 250GB drives.

I am unable to boot into windows and am looking for some direction.

I haved used the software and all seems to be ok. However, I must admit that I am not sure what I should be seeing.

I dl Maxtor PoweMax 4.21 and executed it. The results provided me diagnostic code for each drive, informed me that the drives are failing and instructed me to contact maxtor.

System32/Drviers/Ntfs.sys

Get another drive(1) with winxp on there take the xp cd run it on the (1) then click explore then drage ntfs from system32/drivers to the system32 drivers to the maxtar drive(s).

Since I have to replace both drives and the warranty has expired, can you recommend any replacement drives?

My current drives are Maxtor MaxLine Plus II, 250GB, 7200RPM, 8MB buffer, SATA, RAID0

Thanks

Don't go overboard straight away!
Those utils are not always telling the truth! I have several harddisks still running daily, dating back from 1996!
Do as BillGates suggested and install an IDE harddisk, put W2K or XP on it.
Make that HD your bootdisk. Then see if you can access those SATA drives.
You should be able to copy the missing file(s) over from your XP-CD onto your SATA bootdrive.

If you really want/need to replace those HDs, I suggest you look at Seagate HDs.

While I understand what u r recommending, why purchase an IDE drive and not just replace the SATA drives?

It's me again. I receive a replacement WD 250gb hard drive. I have replaced the bad drive with it and now have one 250GB Maxtor and one 250GB WD. I have performed fdisk and reloaded Windows XP pro. Each time I try and start xp it informs that there is something different and gives me options such as start in safe mode or a previous verios. When I make a choice I encounter a blue screen to quick to read xp unable to execute. XP setup also informs me that setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in the computer.

What to do???

Disconnect the other maxtor to see if it is what is causing the problem.

Thanks to all. Problem resolved. Sorry it took so long for me to respond. Out with minor surgery.

Stupid me did not load the SATA drivers when asked to hit f6 in windows xp setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back