Uncapping Cable modem

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuperCheetah

Don't know how legal this is, but it seems like a cool little trick. Here the link if anyone wants to try it:

Author: DefEngel
http://68.7.164.75:81/temp/

Even though on many sites (dslreports.com,speedguide.net...) have said that this was impossible because the cap is given by the server and not found on the modem. They were proven wrong in one point - it is POSSIBLE. I for one, are an example. I have been successful - uncapping took me 20 minutes.

To the mods, if this is offensive to 3DS, please feel free to remove it immediately. Thanks.

You may not have to worry Super, at 3:00pm eastern. The link was down. :(

I was hoping to at least read it.

However, it is also on Cable-modems.org

i dont believe it works, i've tried multiple programs which tell me how to do it, and i have tried them all without luck. Has anyone actually gotten one to work?

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
i dont believe it works, i've tried multiple programs which tell me how to do it, and i have tried them all without luck. Has anyone actually gotten one to work?

I have used the patches from speedguide and they increased my speed a bit. Basically allowed windows to open up as wide as it could go on my cable modem.

I've also used the patches that SpeedGuide has with some success.

Phantasm66, well how about that, perfect little guide for you then. ;)

I haven't tried this yet although I'm very tempted to. I'm alittle scared because I hear if you don't take the right precautions you'll get busted by the cable company, especially here in the States.

yes, its cable fraud, and I think you can go to jail for that....

the guide is merely there as an intellectual exercise and is not condoned....

That's what I'm thinking cobra. My internet is plenty fast and the benefits just don't outweight the risks to me. Maybe I'll muster the courage to do this tweak someday...

All new cable modems (and systems) are configured on the headend, not on your cable modem. Older modems and systems had the filters and configuration on your cable modem itself. That makes it easier to tamper with, but unless you bought the modem, tampering would be bad. Even if you did own the modem, you would be abusing your provider's network infrastructure, and they would certainly give you a warning for it (if not cancel your service).

Registry tweaking is your best bet to maximize your connection.

I used to do tech support for @Home... I've seen some of the "uncappers" and they are a load of crap. Although I know some do/did work, like I said above, they were for older systems with older modems.

This person tells the truth. Or I'm just cool. If I can do this after 2 months of messing around with my 56k connection. Then cable modem isn' t too hard to believe. I foud a cool tweak setup. I'm on a 56k internal PCI modem. with mods galore to softwear and registry. bla bla bla.

http://www.dslreports.com/archive
enter 98103 for the zip
You'll see me at the bottom!
I was able to duplicate the results with Two differnt ISP's one of which is 56k ONLY! www.nocharge.com You can verify the isp by clicking on the link on the left!

56k has a cap on upload of 28.8 I think or 36..... at V92 I'm running a V90 modem. God has blessed me much!

I think they did it for real guys. A little faith can move a mountain! :) Try Beat that!

I have known a few people that have actually uncapped their modem. And YES it is ILLEGAL. You could goto jail for it, or lose your ISP. Which sux, cause I think they put you on a blacklist and distribute it to other ISP's. Not sure though. But the guy that did it said his ISP is retarded and he said it is going at an incredible rate too. 5mb down /1mb up, and this is on a 56K modem.

Originally posted by poertner_1274
I have known a few people that have actually uncapped their modem. And YES it is ILLEGAL. You could goto jail for it, or lose your ISP. Which sux, cause I think they put you on a blacklist and distribute it to other ISP's. Not sure though. But the guy that did it said his ISP is retarded and he said it is going at an incredible rate too. 5mb down /1mb up, and this is on a 56K modem.

WOW!!! :eek: That's incredible! Maybe this is worth trying then...:)

Originally posted by SuperCheetah

WOW!!! :eek: That's incredible! Maybe this is worth trying then...:)

Remember I said it IS illegal, so be careful, and I take no responsibility for telling you this :)

Believe me I understand. I was just kidding. I don't think a little extra bandwidth is worth going to jail over. I personally wouldn't do this unless I knew it was safe to do and not illegal.

Originally posted by SuperCheetah
Believe me I understand. I was just kidding. I don't think a little extra bandwidth is worth going to jail over. I personally wouldn't do this unless I knew it was safe to do and not illegal.

And its not and it isn't. This is a fascinating tweak but really not worth the possible results, even if that's your cable modem never working again....

Don't even think about uncapping your ISP will know immediately and the yank your connection and you'll be stuck with 56K again.:confused: :)

he is right, i abandoned my project to run 2 cable modems in my home due to the possibility of being caught and banned from the service. then I am back in dial up 56ker land again !!?! I can't think of anything worse....

Originally posted by NameUser
http://www.dslreports.com/archive/

ZIP IS 98103 at the bottom USER HAS 56/28(k)
Speed DOWN/UP 40/103,104,68,75
Blarg/Nocharge.com Nocharge is a free 56K ISP.

Not the top. not 5.6(M)
:b.......

If you have actually done this, which I find very hard to believe, then you need to share what you did. I don't want to get speeds that might cause me to lose my ISP or land me in jail, I just want to get faster than a 26.4k connection and 1.5kbps transfers.

So is uncapping a hardware tweak and is it like unlocking a processer graphics, card etc?

What is the fastest you can uncap a 56k modem and would it be illegal to uncap a 56k modem evern in UK?

There is no such thing as uncapping a 56K modem, it is possible to uncap a cable modem but it is illegal and you will have your service disconnected and be fined and face possible jail time.:)

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
Here is something I found ,This is Illegal and you could be caught so do not try this unless you are willing to take the chance,you have been warned.
I am not sure if this has been posed here or not ,but i am in to testing things and if i see good information sometimes i try it and sometimes i don't .
This one i will try right before i move back to AZ ,and i know this will work .
Als their is another program that is eithier out or will be out Called ONESTEP I am looking for it as i write but i will post this first and then when I find it will see if it is allowed by the MODS.
here is the information.I hope this is ok to post if not please let me know I looked for the forum rules and could not anything on this.

Hi,

I've been sitting on this for a while debating morally
weither or not I should post it. After being lied to by multiple
cable internet companies, told that I'm stupid by cable modem
vendors, and having my access turned off for complaining about
broken DNS i've decided that it's time to post.

2) legal stuff

This is theft of service, you will be probably get caught, don't
do it if you value your cable internet service.

This document is only to be redistributed/copied with the original
text included (including credit to myself).

3) explanation

Companies are out to make money, they hire people with book knowledge,
and stupid things like this happen. (Hi AT&T, your DNS is _still_ broken
even after it was fixed for 2 weeks)

Basicly it's a simple ARP caching thing, it's easy to fix in the modems
and somewhat easy to obscure at the ISP. I'm sure *someone* must have
done this besides me, but from all my searches on the web I've seen
nothing but 'it's impossible' messages, the only people I know that
can do it are people I showed how. I'm sure i'm going to upset those
people by posting this, oh well.

4) Let's get started

Cable modems known to work with this:
3Com Sharkfin (all models)
Motorola (all models)
Toshiba PCX1100
Cisco (?)

Modems that probably don't work:
RCA DCM235
3Com CMX (USR)

First, you need the following:
An operating system with
1) A tftp server,
2) snmp software (I used ucd-snmp),
3) a DOCSIS config file generator such as this one:
http://docsis.sourceforge.net/

5) Go go go.

a) determine the address of the modems TFTP server, some modems
are nice enough to give this info to you on their web interface,
others via SNMP, i've been told that a lot of providers use the
same address as their DHCP servers. Most modems use 192.168.100.1
as their interface address, try to snmpwalk it with the coax
disconnected after rebooting (some retain their config information,
but reset the community strings). (AT&T/MediaOne has 'public'
enabled for the ro string.. go from there)

b) determine the name of the configuration file, use the same methods
as above, or see below if you're running a semi intelligent tftp server.

You need to generate a DOCSIS config file for your modem to use, read
the documentation and examples from the docsis config file program
mentioned above.

c) set the address of your chosen machine to the address of the
tftp server, start pinging the address of the cable modem
(192.168.100.1 usually), this will cause the modem to put
you in its arp tables when you reboot it (reboot it now)

d) the modem will (hopefully) connect to your machine and start
(trying) to download the configuration file, if you couldn't determine
what it was named earlier this is where the smart tftp server comes in,
it should tell you what file name the modem attempted to grab.

e) You're done, easy wasn't it?

Happy surfing.

--
Matthew S. Hallacy FUBAR, LART, BOFH Certified
http://techmonkeys.org/~poptix GPG public key 0x01938203

--
Matthew S. Hallacy FUBAR, LART, BOFH Certified
http://techmonkeys.org/~poptix GPG public key 0x01938203

Bullplop...

Originally posted by NameUser
http://www.dslreports.com/archive/

ZIP IS 98103 at the bottom USER HAS 56/28(k)
Speed DOWN/UP 40/103,104,68,75
Blarg/Nocharge.com Nocharge is a free 56K ISP.

Not the top. not 5.6(M)
:b.......

You have done something to your modem to give you a false reading, or are just outright full of shiite. It is ABSOLUTELY impossible to get more than 53Kbps over a dial-up connection (either direction), period. Phone lines are capable of up to almost 57Kbps at best; however, the FCC restricts speeds to 53Kbps universally. Even if you replaced ROM chips on your modem, you'd never see more than this...whether v90, v92, or whatever.

Secondly, upload speed is only an issue if you're transferring files or hosting a game server. Game servers are useless at such speeds. When surfing the web, the only uploading done is an "ACK" or acknowledgement to the hosting server that you've received packets and please send/or re-send more. Web surfing, therefore, has no use for jacked upload speed.

I could understand your speed claims if you had two modems "shotgunned" together, but in essence this is two connections. Not all ISP's support this configuration as well, and it's doubtful that a free one would.

Basically, you're not getting what you think you are. Sorry. I haven't used dial-up since 1997...I've had a cable modem since then and I'm pleased. I highly recommend it. This is about what I get all day, everyday:
speedtest.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back