Unicode Standard Version 14 brings users new characters and images

Jimmy2x

Staff
The big picture: The Unicode Consortium recently announced the latest Unicode Standard, Version 14. This version brings more than 838 new characters, including 37 emoji characters ranging from biting lips to pregnant persons. The continuously evolving library of usable characters allows users to seamlessly express emotions across platforms, cultures, and language barriers.

The use of emojis on social media platforms has exploded in recent years. As of July 2021, more than 20% of all tweets used at least one emoji available from the Unicode Standard.

The Unicode Consortium recently announced Unicode Standard, Version 14.0. The new standard is designed to further enhance communication across cultures and platforms. It provides additional support for users in countries including India, Indonesia, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippines, Africa, and North America.

The new standard brings users 838 new Unicode characters, including five new scripts. Version 14 also has 37 new emojis, including handshakes and heart hands, a melting face, pointing fingers, pregnant people, and even trolls. But it's not all smiley faces and pointing fingers; other additions to the standard include currency symbols, musical notation, and several language-related scripts. With these additions, Unicode officially supports a total of 144,697 characters.

The Unicode Consortium is a non-profit organization responsible for maintaining Unicode standards used worldwide for character encoding. This standardization provides developers and users with the foundation for processing and storing data in any language and across multiple platforms, enhancing the overall ability to exchange information and ideas across cultures, languages, and technologies.

It includes ancient and modern characters, symbols, punctuation, and the widely known emoji images used to convey or punctuate emotion in written, electronic communication. New emojis are pitched to the consortium via proposals submitted by the public. The recommendations are evaluated based on selection factors such as compatibility, usage level, distinctiveness, and completeness.

Emoji originated in Japan in the late 1990s and achieved wider adoption after inclusion in mobile operating systems of the late 2000s. Today the unmistakable images have become a staple of electronic communication. While emojis cannot wholly replace written communication, they have proven extremely valuable in conveying thoughts and emotions to multiple audiences and recipients regardless of their native language.

Permalink to story.

"While emojis cannot wholly replace written communication, they have proven extremely valuable in conveying thoughts and emotions to multiple audiences and recipients regardless of their native language." They allow for more lazy which is what we need less of

Something is wrong here. Unicode is about symbols, colors are irrelevant. Why does this article include color images? It makes no sense, and would only confuse the readers.

Last edited:
"While emojis cannot wholly replace written communication, they have proven extremely valuable in conveying thoughts and emotions to multiple audiences and recipients regardless of their native language." They allow for more lazy which is what we need less of
OK, first I feel obligated to give you one of my admittedly pedantic suggestions for utilization of this forum's software. It's obvious you're attempting a reply to a small section of the original article.

"Zenforo 2" allows for easily generating a quote box with which to do so, thus:
While emojis cannot wholly replace written communication, they have proven extremely valuable in conveying thoughts and emotions to multiple audiences and recipients regardless of their native language
This is a blooming miracle, in that you don't have strip out the HTML instructions as was previously necessary, or copy and paste the OP's member ID box..

Merely select the section of text you want to quote. A box will appear underneath the selection, "reply", left click on it, and a fully complete quote box will appear in you reply box.

As I said, this is a huge leap forward in convenience and ease of use from the original Xenforo software, and light years ahead of the ubiquitous and rather primitive "Vbulletin".

As to your original point, I completely agree that emojis and a whole host of the characters available, are a time consuming nuisance .

However, I do use about ten of them to specify intent. (With my rather dry sense of humor, that's sometimes quite necessary).

Herewith follows my, "top ten", and only characters I routinely use.

(y) (Y) :laughing:;):p:facepalm::poop::p:eek::scream::rolleyes: 🤣

The rest of my communications rely on my, (perhaps debatable?) skill in English comp..

Last edited:
Male birth emoji...

Let's be more inclusive. There are no emojis acknowledging mensuration. They should make them for both men and women.

Also, isn't limiting it to Cisgenders kind of phobic? Why not give trans emojis and non binary emojis too.

Male birth emoji...

Let's be more inclusive. There are no emojis acknowledging mensuration. They should make them for both men and women.

Also, isn't limiting it to Cisgenders kind of phobic? Why not give trans emojis and non binary emojis too.
They actually did that with the “pregnant person” emoji… They had pregnant woman and with V14 added pregnant man and pregnant person. See the last few lines:

OK, first I feel obligated to give you one of my admittedly pedantic suggestions for utilization of this forum's software. It's obvious you're attempting a reply to a small section of the original article.

This is a blooming miracle, in that you don't have strip out the HTML instructions as was previously necessary, or copy and paste the OP's member ID box..

Merely select the section of text you want to quote. A box will appear underneath the selection, "reply", left click on it, and a fully complete quote box will appear in you reply box.

As I said, this is a huge leap forward in convenience and ease of use from the original Xenforo software, and light years ahead of the ubiquitous and rather primitive "Vbulletin".

As to your original point, I completely agree that emojis and a whole host of the characters available, are a time consuming nuisance .

However, I do use about ten of them to specify intent. (With my rather dry sense of humor, that's sometimes quite necessary).

The rest of my communications rely on my, (perhaps debatable?) skill in English comp..
A few are OK. Do we need so many? In 20 years there will be articles about classic, iconic, forgotten emojis. Doubt me? I use

........................,,-~*~,,
......................./:.:.:.:.:.|
......................|;.;.;.;.;./
......................|.;.;.;.;.|
............._,,,,,_.).;.;.;.;.|
.........,,-":.:.:.:."~-,;.;.;.|
........(_,,,,---,,_:.:.);.;.;..",,
......,-":.:.:.:.:.""-,,/;.;.;.;.;.",
.....:).__,,,,,,,,,___);.;.;.;.;.;|
...../"":.:.:.:.:.:.:¯""\;.;.;.;.;.,"
....",__,,,,,,,,,,,__/;;;;;;;;;/\
.....\.::.:.:.:.:.:.:.;.);;;;;;;;;/:\
.......\,,,,,---~~~~;;;;;;;;,"::::\
.........."""~~--,,,,,,,,,,-"::::::::::\
...................\::::::::::::::::::::::\

But it ain't practicable

@RudyBob I'm slow enough with a keyboard as it is. The piece of "artwork" would likely take me a couple hours, and thsat's if I didn't give up hallfway through.

Hint: I'm usually typing out of my lap with a 25 pound Maine coon taking up the entire desk. Besides, I still have to look at the keys anyway. Office skills weren't on the male curriculum back when we rode dinosaurs painted yellow to school.

Whoa Brontella, stop eating the azaleas....:rolleyes:

BTW, you are missing the "Bull" to go with the ..... 1632382881325.png. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Last edited:
The additional scripts and characters in Version 14.0 offer support for less-common languages and special writing needs throughout the world, as well as a slew of new symbols. Some of these enhancements were made possible by funds through the Adopt-a-Character initiative. The following are some of the new scripts and characters:
Toto was a writing system used in northeast India to write the Toto language.
Cypro-Minoan is an undeciphered historical script that was predominantly used on Cyprus.
Vithkuqi is a traditional script for writing Albanian that is currently having a modern rebirth.
Old Uyghur is an ancient script used to write Turkic, Chinese, Mongolian, Tibetan, and Arabic languages in Central Asia and beyond.

Back