1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Universal drops its first 'Doom: Annihilation' trailer

By Polycount · 18 replies
Mar 11, 2019
Post New Reply
  1. A new Doom game is just around the corner, but fans of the demon-massacring franchise have more than that to look forward to - a Doom film is in the works as well.

While it's tough to say whether or not the film will do well this early on, movie adaptations of popular video game franchises are usually guaranteed an audience; even if it's a smaller one than a major blockbuster might pull in.

The movie, which has been dubbed "Doom: Annihilation," got its first exclusive trailer today. So far, the reception has been less than positive - as of writing, it has roughly 5,300 downvotes and 437 upvotes on YouTube. Many commenters are criticizing the film for looking cheaply-made.

However, we'll let you judge that for yourself. You can watch the "We Call it Hell" trailer above.

From what we can tell, the main character in the latest Doom games -- affectionately known as the "Doom Guy" -- doesn't appear to be present anywhere in the trailer. Instead, we see several fairly generic-looking soldiers, plenty of explosions, and a couple demon screeches for good measure.

It's obviously difficult to assess the quality of Annihilation before it's even released, but we're curious to see how you feel about the movie's first trailer. Let us know your thoughts in the comments.

Permalink to story.

2. Squid Surprise

Squid Surprise TS Evangelist Posts: 2,515   +1,515

A poorly made film based on a video game? I’m shocked! That’s never happened before! Now can we get Raúl Julia to play M Bison or JCVD for Col Guile?

syrious01 likes this.
  3. amstech

amstech IT Overlord Posts: 2,185   +1,363

The first Doom movie was solid B+ fun.

tkabou, kira setsu and pcnthuziast like this.
  4. m4a4

m4a4 TS Evangelist Posts: 1,428   +993

Well, I watched the trailer before reading the article (or looking at anything else). I agree, it looks cheaply made.

darkzelda likes this.
  5. ForgottenLegion

ForgottenLegion TS Guru Posts: 386   +392

This is probably the worst thing I've seen in a long time.

Who signs off on this stuff and thinks it's good? They must be beyond blind.

6. pcnthuziast

pcnthuziast TS Evangelist Posts: 569   +173

When liberals make movies (which is most movies) they always put more effort into stuffing it with propaganda than actually developing and fleshing out a good story and characters.

tkabou and Zorak like this.
  7. PEnnn

PEnnn TS Enthusiast Posts: 76   +78

"pcnthuziast
    When liberals make movies (which is most movies) they always put more effort into stuffing it with propaganda than actually developing and fleshing out a good story and characters."

Now, which "propaganda" you saw in this 30 second trailer that caused you so much butthurt??

pcnthuziast and lumbeeman like this.
  8. mcborge

mcborge TS Guru Posts: 567   +463

Looks bad enough to be a SYFY channel production.

SirDigby likes this.
  9. lumbeeman

lumbeeman TS Enthusiast Posts: 24   +23

Your attempt at trolling failed horribly lol

pcnthuziast likes this.
  10. pcnthuziast

pcnthuziast TS Evangelist Posts: 569   +173

Found the antifa cucks. Mission accomplished.

A) I'm non partisan and anti government B) Suffice to say not a Trump supporter C) Shun all the bs labels while playfully pinning them on plebes because trolling is fun and I always have fun so it's never a failure

11. XtremeHammond

XtremeHammond TS Enthusiast Posts: 60   +42

Doom 3 looks better. It has its own atmosphere.

mcborge likes this.
  12. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 3,372   +1,823

The props looked so funny. Gun toys vs fake demons FTW!

13. Zorak

Zorak TS Rookie Posts: 18   +6

Oh. Suddenly I don't feel so good...

The ONLY redeeming thing about this... "footage of people running around" is that there's a barrel that explodes on purpose. That's about it.

14. Bubbajim

Bubbajim TechSpot Staff Posts: 661   +645

I'm glad someone else noticed the absolutely ridiculous guns. And the chainsaw makes an appearance. There is hope for this movie after all.

Polycount likes this.
  15. Dosahka

Dosahka TS Booster Posts: 141   +57

Asylum?

16. stewi0001

stewi0001 TS Evangelist Posts: 2,174   +1,593

Based on the trailer, it seems like the woman is going to be the main character. So maybe the target audience is female gamers or feminists? Just a guess ;P

Also, dual wielding pistols does not improve accuracy. It just wastes ammo.

ForgottenLegion likes this.
  17. kira setsu

kira setsu TS Addict Posts: 127   +107

Someone sat in chair, then played through the entire last doom game, stood up, said "f*** it" and then proceeded to make this.

I'm honestly amazed.

mcborge and ForgottenLegion like this.
  18. ForgottenLegion

ForgottenLegion TS Guru Posts: 386   +392

There is no hope for this movie.
    Watch this piss poor movie and you'll be wasting your life. Up to you.

19. Puiu

Puiu TS Evangelist Posts: 3,372   +1,823

Maybe it will fall in the "It's so bad it's good" category.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...