Unknown Processes in the Task Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a problem I've been having for some time now. I tried to get some help clearing it up a few years ago, but it met with only limited success. Now it's rearing it's ugly head once more, and having found this rather interesting place, I thought maybe I'd try asking again. It's not exactly something I can just look up in an FAQ after all, because it's the sort of thing that's specific from computer to computer (or so it seems).

Anyways, I'm always finding bizarre processes running in the background of my computer when I look in the Task Manager. I can identify some of them as the programs I'm currently using, and a few that I know run in the background like Kaspersky and the Nintendo WiFi Device. However, most of them just don't make any sense and I certainly can't figure out what they are.

Here's a screenshot of my processes as I type this, perhaps someone can help.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v79/HiroshiMishima/Processes.png

*removed the "http" part because of that silly no link/image rule*

google the unknown processes to find out what they are. Or you can use a tool like glarysoft to find out - and it's free.

Thanks a lot, that really helped me figure out what some of those processes were. Any idea how to deal with the fact that I have svchost.exe show up 5 times? I know it's a critical process, but it shouldn't show up multiple times, and I'd hate to think one of them is a trojan.. not that I think it is, because I think it would have shown up by now. I think it's just a duplicated process. I found an interesting program to help with some of my problems, but nothing that deal with that.

Apparently my Anti-Virus Prorgam is on there twice as well, and I'm not sure why.

SVCHost.exe

svchost.exe is a process that hosts multiple programs at the same time. If you open it in a program such as dtaskmanager, you will notice that each svchost.exe has a list of programs that it manages. The reason for this, is to save memory space. It is completely normal to have multiple svchost.exe open at the same time.

How often do you turn off your computer? You need to shut it off at least every week, so that you can clear out your memory. If you restart your computer, there shouldn't be so many svchost.exe open.

Sonny, I also run a program called FreeRamXP set to auto free memory whenever it drops below 450MB available. Never has to auto clear.Main machine shows 640MB available and secondary machines show 755MB available.
Folding for a team with all 3 machines right at this moment. All have been running 24/7 for better than 1 month with no downtime or problems.
Even if turned off, all svchosts would be right back because they are created by running processes and not stored in memory.

Google is your friend. Type the name of the process you can't identify in the search and it enter. I don't see anything weird in the Task Manager.

For the record, I usually have 7-9 svchost.exe processes.

Once you identify the process, you can determine whether it started on boot or whether it's in use now:
For instance:
The 2 'Lex... processes at the bottom are for the Lexmark or Dell printer. They don't need to start on boot- can be called up manually when needed.

QTask is a nuisance startup:
QUICK TIME

• [1] Use msconfig to UNCHECK any QuickTime entries on Startup> Apply> OK
    [2] Disable tray icon: Right-click on the icon and select QuickTime Preferences > Browser Plugin. Clear the check box next to "QuickTime system tray icon," and then close the settings box. The icon won't appear anymore.
    [3] Rename the qttask.exe file:
    Right click on Start> Explore> Programs> QuickTime directory> right click on qttask.exe> rename to qttask.exeold.

jusched.exe is the Java auto-updater. It doesn't need to be running:
JAVA:

• [1] UNCHECK all Java entries on the Startup menu: Start> Run> msconfig> enter> Selective Startup Startup tab.
    [2] Open IE> Tools> Manage add-ons> right click on Java (tm) Plug-In 2 SSV Helper' (jp2ssv.dll> Click on and Disable Java Plugin2 and Java Quick Start.
    [3] Start> Run> services.msc> right click on JavaQuickStarterService)> Properties> Change Startup Type to Disabled> Stop the Service
    [4] Stop auto update:. Control Panel> Java> Update tab> UNCHECK 'check automatically for updates'> Apply> Click YES when asked to confirm> OK
    [5] Make sure only the current version of Java is in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel. Uninstall any other versions.

Viewpoint Service
You have Viewpoint Media Player installed on your system. This program is not malware but it is foistware in that it is usually installed without the user's knowledge or approval, and for this reason I recommend you remove it. If you actually use this program, I recommend you try using safe and free alternatives such as VLC Media Player.

How to Remove Viewpoint Media Player, Toolbar, or Manager
Go to Start > Run> taskmgr

• [1] Under the Processes tab find the following tasks or processes:
  • ViewpointService.exe
  • ViewMgr.exe
  • Highlight and click "End Process".
  • Exit Task Manager.

[2]Click on Start > Run and type: services.msc
  • Press "OK".
  • Click the "Extended tab".
  • Scroll down the list and find the service called "Viewpoint Manager Service"
  • Right click> Properties
  • Click the "Stop" button.
  • From the drop-down menu next to "Startup Type", click on "Disabled".
  • Now click "Apply", then "OK" and close any open windows.

[3]Click on Start > Settings > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > highlight and remove all references to Viewpoint - i.e. Viewpoint, Viewpoint Manager, Viewpoint Media Player.

[4]Finally, delete the following folders if they still exist using Windows Explorer:
  • C:\Program Files\ViewManager\ <-- and delete this folder
  • C:\Program Files\Viewpoint\ <-- and delete this folder

jqs is Java Quick Start- another unneeded process
Follow the same path as the services.msc given for Viewpoint.
The Service to Stop and Disable is JavaQuickStart> jqs

It looks like you took the snapshot of the system as you were prepared to shutdown,. #36 processes is very reasonable, but you can remove the other entries.

For all of the above:
Using msconfig to change Startup:
Start> Run> msconfig> enter> Selective startup> Startup tab> UNCHECK the process you don't want to start on boot>> when finished checking all of those you don't want> Apply> OK

NOTE: the first time you reboot after changing the Startup, you will get a nag message that you can ignore and close after checking 'don't show this message again.' Stay in Selective Startup.

Hi... an easy way to disable/enable startup programs is CCleaner. It is a very useful little app you can download here.
ccleaner.com/

keep this app in your quicklaunch area of taskbar, run it every day, you will see how useful it is after using it. It's light, fast, and highly rated.

Oh, and not to worry about all the svhost.exe processes, they are normal system background processes.

Oh yea, to see detailed info about all your processes, check this out. It's called Process Explorer (Microsoft) Download here....
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

good luck,
.....bobbyr

YES! I was going to ref the original but it now points directly here also :)
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

VERY GOOD tool.
the GUI will sort on any column heading (ascending or descending)
as well as the classic tree view

Yes, a couple little gems. You like these sort of apps...

a couple more I like.

Autoruns (Microsoft). Everything that starts up in Windows. These two are cool, they are localized, no need to install.
technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

Installedcodecs (view, enable/disable all codecs on your system). Too many codecs could be a source of conflicts, especially in games (Fallout3 for example).
nirsoft.net/utils/installed_codec.html

I have a program with multiple utilities included: The Ultimate Troubleshooter. It included much of the same information as Process Explorer. All processes, startups and Services can be controlled from within it.

It has a feature called Housekeepingwhich I use in place of a disc cleanup- I can delete any and everything in my system. I have Housekeeping set to send the deletes to the Recycle Bin. Then I use Eraser, a free program I've had on my systems for years. (http://www.heidi.ie/node/6) It overwrites to the specs of the DOD.

Using the above combination, my 3 1/2 year old laptop has 88% resources still free.

I've never used CCleaner. But as far as identifying the processes in the Task Manager, it's a matter of a Google search which shouldn't be too much for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back