Unmounted Volume

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was running Defragmenter and one of my slave hard disk showed up as "Unmounted Volume" with no drive letter assigned to it. The drive is 120GB and I have not had a problem at all with it. I've been reading around in forums on-line but I have not got an answer to my problems or anything to try yet. I can analyze and defrag the "Unmounted Volume" hard disk, but I still don't see any of my information. What caused this?

Just mount it again. Go into Disk Management: Right click My Computer > Manage > "Disk Management" along the right pane, or just type diskmgmt.msc in the Run prompt.

Find your drive that you need to mount (I'll assume you can identify which one due to the size and conspicuousness). Then right-click it and select "Change drive letter and paths..." and give it a letter to be accessed through.

Or, you can do it in the command line if you really want to.
Open up the command line by typing "cmd" in the Run prompt.
Input mountvol /? and it will list information required for the correct syntax.
Look under "Possible values for VolumeName along with current mount point" and you should see your unmounted volume labeled "no mount point"
Now input mountvol X: (volumename),
where X is the drive letter you wish to assign your drive, and volumename is the name of the volume labeled "no mount point" (be sure to include the name enclosed in "\\?\Volume{.....}\" ).

The graphical method via disk management is much easier and user friendly. :)

Highlight My Computer then right click to get the context menu.

Highlight and left click Manage in that menu

Double click disk management.

You should see the volume you are talking about. Select it, the right click for the context menu. Click Change Drive Letter and Paths and voila. That should let you assign it.

serutherford said:
I was running Defragmenter and one of my slave hard disk showed up as "Unmounted Volume" with no drive letter assigned to it. The drive is 120GB and I have not had a problem at all with it. I've been reading around in forums on-line but I have not got an answer to my problems or anything to try yet. I can analyze and defrag the "Unmounted Volume" hard disk, but I still don't see any of my information. What caused this?
Thanks a lot for looking our for me. I fixed the problems by going into Disk Management and assigning a new drive letter. The hard drive is fine with all of the data on it. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back