Unresponsive PC

Hey guys, I seem to be having a major problem with my PC. It all started yesterday night when I restarted my computer and then I would get no signal. Lights, fans, HDD, they all would be on as usual, but it just wouldn't reboot, basically a black screen with nothing happening, no noises or anything.

The RAM is working properly, so is the power supply and video card as I've tested them all on another PC. I thought it was some BIOS issue as I removed the CMOS battery, powered it on and it would work perfectly fine except if I would restart the system the same thing would happen again, and I'd have to remove the CMOS battery once more or reset the jumper every time I would want to turn it on cause it wouldn't boot otherwise.

It was all fine with me though since I was planning on taking it to a service next week so at least it was running, until everything froze at one point while I was doing some random stuff on it (like 10 hours later after I reset the BIOS). I turned it off since it wouldn't boot if I restarted it, turned it back on and the power button wouldn't light up, the CD/DVD ROM led would constantly be on, and still no activity, also the reset button next to the power one doesn't work anymore.

It seems that nothing can really fix the issue, removing the CMOS battery or resetting the jumper doesn't really make a difference, everything else turns on except the lights for the power button and the PC remains unresponsive. I even tried removing everything then putting the PC back together, still nothing.

Any ideas on what could the issue be ? I'm on a deadline with some projects and I certainly cant just leave it like this. I'd really appreciate some insight, thanks.

You have checked the power supply and said it was good, so the motherboard is the next thing, but it could just be a dead or dying CMOS battery

I sure hope its just the CMOS battery, I replaced it with another one from a different computer but it wouldn't change anything (this was before it froze and became completely unresponsive), yet that different PC is pretty old so it could be a good enough reason for why nothing changed. I don't think the motherboard would be fried cause I always took care of it in terms of temperature and other things, but who knows.

I took all the RAM out just now and tried powering it on, nothing would happen, no noise or anything. Shouldn't it beep like crazy if there's no RAM in it ?

Yes, it should give continuous beeps... This is a good indication that the motherboard is indeed bad :D

Back