Unwanted "Unable To set Tary Icon" Message

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Staerck

I am running Windows Xp Home edition. Recently a dialog box containing the message "Unable To Set Tary Icon" started to appear after I log on. I am using McAfee, Spybot and AdAware for virus checking etc. I have searched the Techspot forums but found no mention of this. Any clues as to where I should look gratefully received.

John

Have you recently tried to install or attach an external device like a USB device or hard drive, MP3 player or PDA?

Hello Tmagic650, thanks for the reply.

I haven't installed any new USB device recently. I have found the following program C:\Program Files\Philips\SPC 200NC PC Camera\traymin.exe. I did have a Phillips camera but discarded it some time ago. Any chance there is a mispelling in the message?? When I used Unix systems we had a "strings" utility that we could use to examine executable files for character sequences when we suspected where a message was coming from; do you know of anything like this for windows?

I will remove the Phillips software and see if the message goes away.

John

What have you installed recently? Go through the programs you have installed lately and in the options, deselect have a tray icon.

It just hit me, this may be spyware. Are you using anti-spyware utilitities? I advise my suctomers to use 3. Here are my recommendations:

• Ad-Aware 2007
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • AVG Anti-Spyware

All are free and can be downloaded via the Internet.

Removing the redundant Phillips camera software seemed to do the trick; can't understand why the problem recently started happening though.

Thanks for the advice about AVG and CCleaner, I have only been using Adaware, Spybot and McAfee up to now.

This may be slightly of topic; but during my investigation of this problem I was about to install RegCure because a relevant article on Techspot contained a link to it, but I backed off when I saw some disparaging remarks about RegCure in other threads. I don't remember seeing adverts the last time I started a thread, admittedly a while ago now.

Once again, many thanks to both of you.

John

almcneil said:
I recommend Registery Cleaner by PC Tools, http://www.pctools.com. I use it and it works great!

You mean registry Mechanic 6.0? For $29.95... CCleaner and RegcleanXP are free and they also work great! I can't tell you how many utilities I have purchased over the last few years, that I don't use any longer. I do love my purchased Acronis Home and O&O Defrag Pro very much

Tmagic650 said:
You mean registry Mechanic 6.0? For $29.95... CCleaner and RegcleanXP are free and they also work great! I can't tell you how many utilities I have purchased over the last few years, that I don't use any longer. I do love my purchased Acronis Home and O&O Defrag Pro very much

CCleaner I don't believe works on the registery, only on temporary files.

RegcleanXP I'm not familiar with but will check it out.

Now question, Acronis makes excellent utilities! Too bad they're in tough with Symantec. I noticed recently Acronis slashed it's price for True Image, their flagship product. It's better than Norton Ghost but Symantec is getting to be too large and dominant. I think they're killing Acronis. Too bad, I really like Acronis' products.

Seagates DiskWizard now contains Acronis's True Image. It is incredibly fast and accurate in "cloning" the old C drive to the new drive. In Acronis Home, the drive toold and the backup utilities are wonderful too!

CCleaner works on many other file types... Stored index.dat files and autocomplete entries are 2 more

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back