Upcoming Interactive Achievement Awards nominees

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arris

pc.Ign.com have posted details of the nominees for the upcoming Interactive Achievement Awards.
RTCW, Gran Turismo 3 and others that you will all be familiar with make it to the short lists. Grand Theft Auto 3 gets a nomination for Outstanding Achievement in Game Play Engineering which I think is well deserved. One surprise for me was that ISS Evolution2 (Winning Eleven 7?) didn't get into the short list for sports games. It might be something to do with all you Americans preferring American Football games ;)

Computer Sports Game of the Year
  • FIFA 2002 (Electronic Arts Canada/Electronic Arts)
  • Madden NFL 2002 (Tiburon Entertainment/Electronic Arts)
  • NHL 2002 (Electronic Arts Canada/Electronic Arts)

FIFA!? BAH! :puke: (ok, so vb doesn't have puke, but...)
ISS is far more fun...
even the older PSX Winning Eleven 4!

Originally posted by Arris
It might be something to do with all you Americans preferring American Football games ;)
hehehe. seems very american based since FF isn't on the RPG list (should've been if it's Japan based) ;)

Kamus, has a point.. All the EA Sports games are good but not groundbreaking. Tennis Master Series was a great groundbreaking game for the pc.

There will (obviously) always be a discrepency between real sports and computer simulated sport. Its very hard to encompass exactly what makes certain sports exciting and fun to play. When your team is computer controlled apart from the one player that you have control over at the moment they are never going to be able to adapt/invent/alter how they react as innovatively as human beings. The complexity of anything that actually exists is always going to be nigh on impossible to recreate 100% accurately on the PC. Thats why games, when traced back to their roots, started with fantasy and pure gameplay with no focus on realism at all. I really hope the day doesn't come when I can put on a full VR suit and run on the spot kicking a virtual ball around on a game server against others.... Whats the point when you can go down the local park with some mates and kick a real ball about :)

But the point is valid that EA haven't done anything that special to their sports simulation games, but they have done some good fantasy sports games such as NBAStreet and SSX Tricky which try to be less simulative and more gameplay based titles.

haha, virtual games would be cool to play with once they are cheap enough for us all to buy them :):):)
counter strike anyone? hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back