Upcoming Windows 10 feature promises to optimize a device based on its use case

midian182

Staff member
In brief: Microsoft is preparing to release a new Windows 10 feature that will optimize the OS based on its particular use case. The options include gaming, entertainment, and business, though it appears to focus more on the software side than the hardware.

Microsoft has been testing a new "Device Usage" page internally for the last few months. It will appear in the Windows 10 Settings menu app and is already available in some preview builds.

Windows Latest managed to enable the feature using a virtual machine. "Get customized suggestions for tools and services based on how you plan to use your device," Microsoft writes.

Users must allow Microsoft to access their data to "create personalized experiences." There are six main categories: Gaming, for discovering new games and the latest releases; Family, making it easier to create individual profiles and staying connected; Creativity, such as video/photo editing and presentations; Schoolwork, which includes collaborating on projects; Entertainment, from watching videos to social media and web browsing; and Business, covering tracking expenses and managing customers. It's noted that more than one of these categories can be selected.

It's not clear what the optimization process involves, but it appears to include suggesting tools, services, apps/games to download, and customization options appropriate to specific use cases. We still don't know whether the feature will also bring hardware optimizations.

Last October, Microsoft announced a new "Customize your device" screen during the Windows OOBE (out-of-box) installation designed to offer a tailored setup experience. It includes the same categories of the upcoming feature, which seems to be an extension of that OOBE screen.

Permalink to story.

Windows must be already in perfect health. No bugs to fix, no issues to resolve.

Now I know why CEO of MS said that W10 is the last Windows ever released. Soon name will be changed to Adware/Nagware with a new number. What's the point of this? Who thinks of this nonsense?

MS you want to improve Windows. Give people choice to not install all of your bloatware. Give people a choice to not use at all Windows Update. Allow to specify Users path during install process without massive shenanigans required.

Because M$ knows how to use my computer better than I do. :rolleyes:

I updated one of my PCs recently, to a newer release of Windohs 10. The most annoying thing about that update was that I now have to click the power button in the menu twice to get it to show "Shut Down" where I only had to click it once with the prior build. Seems to me that M$ has no clue about usability. It seems that somehow, clicking a control twice when it only had to be clicked once prior is a usability enhancement. You would think that M$ would understand something as basic as having to use only one click vs two WRT usability. But Nooooooooo. I bet M$ thinks this improves usability. One day, M$ might finally get their heads where there is sunshine. :rolleyes:

"Optimize the OS"

Translation - feed ads and useless garbage to the user. Most gamers have plenty of power to run their games, there's nothing MS can do to improve the experience and, based on history, they stand a better chance of screwing things up.

Because M$ knows how to use my computer better than I do. :rolleyes:

I updated one of my PCs recently, to a newer release of Windohs 10. The most annoying thing about that update was that I now have to click the power button in the menu twice to get it to show "Shut Down" where I only had to click it once with the prior build. Seems to me that M$ has no clue about usability. It seems that somehow, clicking a control twice when it only had to be clicked once prior is a usability enhancement. You would think that M$ would understand something as basic as having to use only one click vs two WRT usability. But Nooooooooo. I bet M$ thinks this improves usability. One day, M$ might finally get their heads where there is sunshine. :rolleyes:

I miss Windows 7 ease to shut down the computer:
Windows Key
right arrow 2x
enter

It was simple, easy and quick.

You can access the shut down with the keyboard in Windows 10, but it takes a lot of key presses to get there:
Windows Key
TAB 2x
then down arrow (8 or 9 times or how many ever it takes to get to the Power option)
ENTER (to chose Power option)
then down arrow 1x
then ENTER to choose shut down

Everything is just one big cluster**** under Windows 10. You need tons of extra clicks to get somewhere. Options in the Settings are not complete or are too hard to follow over what the Control Panel offered. I honestly try to find the options I need under Settings - I'll spend upwards of 10 minutes sometimes, randomly browsing and even trying to search....yet I won't find what I need. Then I just go back to the Control Panel, find the option I need in about half a dozen clicks and change what needs to be changed and I'm on my way.

I have given Windows 10 a chance, but the UI just blows in comparison to Windows 7....even Vista was better. I've been using Win 10 on my work computer for the past three years now and finally moved to Win 10 at home when I got my 5900x about 3 months ago....I still hate it. Absolutely hate it. Only reason I stick with it is the ease of gaming and that might be coming to an end soon if I can't find a replacement GPU. My 980Ti, even after pulling it apart, completely cleaning it, putting on new TIM and thermal pads, the random fan spinups where they run at max speed for 2-3 seconds keeps increasing in regularity.....I digress.

USB DAC's work perfectly on USB3 ports after a fresh install of Windows 10

After downloading Microsoft updates however, you can find thousands of complaints of audio cutting out and no solutions from MonopolySoft

This only affects USB3 ports (as far as I know) and USB2 ports still work with outboard DACs (on my machine)

There is no need to optimize if you stop breaking stuff

Updates do not break Windows 8.1's DAC support, or Windows 7, or Windows XP

KNOCK IT OFF JERKWADS!

and stop telling everyone that complains about the problem to try 300 "possible" fixes that do not fix anything

YOU BROKE IT WITH THE UPDATES!

There is nothing that can be fixed at the users end

Last edited:
This is where I continue to be thankful that I have had access to Windows Server keys for my workstation, so I can avoid crap like this and other W10 annoyances, no idea how Microsoft hasn't realised people don't like nagware, especially one that requires you to send additional data to MS

Windows Key
right arrow 2x
enter

You can access the shut down with the keyboard in Windows 10, but it takes a lot of key presses to get there:
Windows Key
TAB 2x
then down arrow (8 or 9 times or how many ever it takes to get to the Power option)
then down arrow 1x

Everything is just one big cluster**** under Windows 10. You need tons of extra clicks to get somewhere. Options in the Settings are not complete or are too hard to follow over what the Control Panel offered. I honestly try to find the options I need under Settings - I'll spend upwards of 10 minutes sometimes, randomly browsing and even trying to search....yet I won't find what I need. Then I just go back to the Control Panel, find the option I need in about half a dozen clicks and change what needs to be changed and I'm on my way.

I have given Windows 10 a chance, but the UI just blows in comparison to Windows 7....even Vista was better. I've been using Win 10 on my work computer for the past three years now and finally moved to Win 10 at home when I got my 5900x about 3 months ago....I still hate it. Absolutely hate it. Only reason I stick with it is the ease of gaming and that might be coming to an end soon if I can't find a replacement GPU. My 980Ti, even after pulling it apart, completely cleaning it, putting on new TIM and thermal pads, the random fan spinups where they run at max speed for 2-3 seconds keeps increasing in regularity.....I digress.

Try Start10.

USB DAC's work perfectly on USB3 ports after a fresh install of Windows 10

After downloading Microsoft updates however, you can find thousands of complaints of audio cutting out and no solutions from MonopolySoft
I noticed that Windohs 10 Updates would break my audio, too, at least on one computer. I have a Soundblaster ZXR in that computer, and Windohs 10 Updates would continually install the HD sound driver for the HDMI port on the system that I have the ZXR installed in. What I had to do to get Windohs 10 Updates to not install that HDMI sound driver was to go into the Computer Manager and disable the HDMI audio port on the my video card. I don't know that that will help you, but it did prevent Windohs 10 Updates (and M$ for that matter) from figuring that since there is an HDMI audio function installed in my computer, I want to use that. :facepalm:

Windows Key
TAB 2x
then down arrow 1x
Jesus christ, dude. While on the desktop, just press Alt+F4 and then Enter and it will shut W10 down. Press Win+D beforehand if you're not on the desktop.
Most times someone complains about Windows 10, I find it's just a case of them not being as tech savvy as they like to believe they are.

Ummmm how about NO!

Users must allow Microsoft to access their data to "create personalized experiences."

Jesus christ, dude. While on the desktop, just press Alt+F4 and then Enter and it will shut W10 down. Press Win+D beforehand if you're not on the desktop.
Most times someone complains about Windows 10, I find it's just a case of them not being as tech savvy as they like to believe they are.
You need to calm down. I was making a comparison of how simple things were on Windows 7 compared to the stupidity of the direction Windows 10 took things. You need to relax.

I know how to close out a program. I can even navigate through windows with just using the keyboard. So, keep assuming you know how someone else is when it comes to them be "tech savvy".

If it disables all unnecessary services and doesnt add bloat, then I'll consider it 'optimized' for gaming,,, if optimized for gaming means bloatware & Windows 10 Game Bar enabled,, then.. No lol.

It's true, you can always tell who really knows what they're doing by their use (or lack thereof) of keyboard shortcuts. Mice and GUIs were made for the tech illiterate while the wizards use keyboard shortcuts, ASCII codes and the tab key to get things done in ½ of the time. :D

It's true, you can always tell who really knows what they're doing by their use (or lack thereof) of keyboard shortcuts. Mice and GUIs were made for the tech illiterate while the wizards use keyboard shortcuts, ASCII codes and the tab key to get things done in ½ of the time. :D
Oh, I don't know, on Windows 7, simply pressing that big, heavy, power button once, shuts the system down. Is that too difficult to remember, accomplish, or simply too neanderthal for you tech snobs?

I'm trying to learn though. I do know that when my cat steps on F11, it toggles the browser into the completely useless full screen mode. Maybe I could prevail on him to teach me some more clever keyboard shortcuts.

With the windstorm coming out of you, it sounds like you'd be happier with one of those old "terminals". You know, the ones with only lines of ugly green or yellow text, and no pitchurs..:rolleyes:.

The best they can do to optimize Windows for gaming is to disbale as much unnecessary things as possible. Which begs the question, why do these things exist in the first place?

If your GPU is GT710 you won't be able to play Cyberpunk 2077 at respectable framerates regardless of what Windows does.

Windows Key
right arrow 2x
enter

Windows Key
TAB 2x
then down arrow 1x

Windows Key
right arrow 2x
enter

Windows Key
TAB 2x
then down arrow 1x

Or you could just put a shutdown icon on your desktop.

it sounds like you'd be happier with one of those old "terminals". You know, the ones with only lines of ugly green or yellow text, and no pitchurs..:rolleyes:.
That's what I started with and that's why I know the keyboard shortcuts. When the first GUIs came out, I had been using keyboard-only computers for years already. I had been used to seeing "C>" in MS-DOS and found that Windows slowed computers to a crawl in comparison.

Funnily enough, it didn't have to be that way because, unlike MS Windows, IBM OS/2 was actually faster than MS-DOS despite being a GUI. The problem was the same problem that AMD suffered. Microsoft leveraged its money and marketing to get people to use Windows 3.1 even though it was just a DOS mask and OS/2 was an actual OS that ran DOS and Windows applications faster than DOS or Windows and also ran OS/2 applications which the other two didn't.

Maybe I'm just a bitter old man. :laughing:

Back