Updating Win 10 (Home) from ver. 1809 to ver. 1903 or 1909

ravisunny2

I had purchased a copy of Win 10 (Home) retail version on 10 January 2017.

I have updated regularly, and currently I have version 1809 (32-bit).

When I try to update, I am getting the following message:

“You’re currently running a version of Windows that’s nearing the end of service. We recommend you update to the most recent version of Windows 10 to get the latest features and security improvements.”

However, I am not getting the option to update to version 1903 or 1909.

Can I update to the latest version using Update Assistant?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If I download and run the media creation tool and do a fresh install, will the original key work?

I have a 32-bit installation at present, and want to reinstall to the 64-bit version.

Thank you.

If I download and run the media creation tool and do a fresh install, will the original key work?

I have a 32-bit installation at present, and want to reinstall to the 64-bit version.
The answer to both questions are yes.

Your key is good for both bit versions of the Home Edition. Installation of any build will activate, as long as it is for Home Edition.

I downloaded the MediaCreationTool1909 and ran it. I went through the following steps:

1) On license page: Accept

2) On the “What do you want to do?” page, I chose “Create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD or ISO file) for another PC"

3) On the “Select the language, architecture and edition” page, I chose

Language: English (United Kingdom)
Edition: Windows 10 [there was no other option]
Architecture: Both [as I wanted to have both option for the reinstallation]

4) On the “Choose which media to use” page, I chose “USB flash drive”

5) On “Select a USB flash drive” page, I chose G: (WIN-1909) [a 16 GB drive formatted to FAT32]

After the download (of about 6GB), the message came “Verifying your download.”

Then after some time, I got this message:

“There was a problem running this tool

We’re not sure what happened, but were unable to run this tool on your PC. If you continue experiencing problems, reference the error code when contacting customer support. Error code 0xC1800103 - 0x90002”

----

I tried to locate where the downloaded file(s) had been stored, with no success.

On my C: [system] drive, I found three new folders:

ESD: 01-Apr-20 4:50 AM File folder [this folder is empty]

$WINDOWS.~BT: 01-Apr-20 3:42 AM File folder

$WINDOWS.~WS: 01-Apr-20 3:42 AM File folder

The latter two folders have some files:

-----
Directory of C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources

01-Apr-20 12:00 PM <DIR> Panther
01-Apr-20 04:48 AM 36 SetupPlatform.ini

Directory of C:\$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther

01-Apr-20 04:48 AM 1,908 diagerr.xml
01-Apr-20 04:48 AM 4,071 diagwrn.xml
01-Apr-20 04:48 AM 7,940 setupact.log
01-Apr-20 04:48 AM 0 setuperr.log
-----

C:\$Windows.~WS\Sources\Panther

Directory of C:\$Windows.~WS\Sources\Panther

01-Apr-20 04:50 AM 6,736 diagerr.xml
01-Apr-20 04:50 AM 14,706 diagwrn.xml
01-Apr-20 03:43 AM 204,389 Eula.rtf
01-Apr-20 04:50 AM 102,289 setupact.log
01-Apr-20 04:48 AM 1,779 setuperr.log
01-Apr-20 04:48 AM 12,520 windlp.state-old.xml
01-Apr-20 04:48 AM 12,520 windlp.state.xml

------

My daily data allowed is 1.5 GB, which is adequate for my needs. I had purchased 6GB extra just for this download.

Should I do a direct download using this link:

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techn...icrosoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

[Edited to add: This link does not work.]

I cannot afford trial and error; any suggestions, please?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I think I remember running into trouble with the USB creation part of the tool. I started downloading the ISO to a folder of choice. Then I used a utility called rufus to create the USB disk. Windows will mount the ISO and install from a mounted volume. The USB is really only needed, if you can not boot into Windows.

I'll avoid using MediaCreationTool1909 as it will do a verification (that can fail).

I'll see if I can download the Win 10 ISO from the link

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/techn...icrosoft-windows-and-office-iso-download-tool

[Edited to add: This link does not work.]

Then, as you have suggested, I can either use Rufus or mount the ISO and do a fresh install.

It's been quite a while since my last install. If I remember correctly, I'll get an option to format the system partition C: (without affecting my three other partitions).

Thank you, Clifford.

Last edited:
On the other hand, I don't know whether MediaCreationTool1909 will do a verification if I download the ISO. So, maybe that is worth a shot.

Here is what I have discovered so far.

1) Microsoft is forcing all people with Win 10 already on their system to use MediaCreationTool1909. People with any other OS, be it Windows (such as Win 7 or Win 8) or some non-Windows OS (such as Linux, Android, etc.), are not subject to this restriction.

2) This media creation tool is unreliable, and it does not give any useful error message when it fails. I found it to fail during verification of the download, which sounds suspicious to me. Also note that even if we use the option to download and create an ISO (not write to a USB), the verification of the download is carried out.

3) There are posts on the Internet claiming to solve the following error:

“There was a problem running this tool

We’re not sure what happened, but were unable to run this tool on your PC. If you continue experiencing problems, reference the error code when contacting customer support. Error code 0xC1800103 - 0x90002”

However, I am not at all sure that these claims are well-founded.

I ran the tool four times; it failed thrice and worked only once.

4) Based upon point (1), however, it is possible to download to directly download Win 10 from a Win 10 machine as follows:

(a) by creating a virtual machine having an OS that is not Win 10 (I haven’t tried this, but it should work)

(b) by overriding the default setting of your browser

I am not going to mention how to override the default settings of the browser as that may be against the rules of Techspot.

If a moderator indicates that providing information on how to override the default settings of the browser is NOT against the rules of Techspot, I can provide further information.

5) Finally, though most of you may be aware, according Microsoft, “English International” = English (UK), and “English” = English (US)

Good luck, everyone.

Hello dear,
I think you will be able to update when your currently running service end.you should to wait some days and after ending of your currently service you will have update option.I hope you understand this thing.thank you

No, I don’t understand.

What are you suggesting?

That I should not update now?

That the 1909 update is being deferred for some reason and will become available after the service life of the current version end?

I do need to reinstall to the 64-bit version anyway.

Back