Upgrade my computer to play Guild Wars 2

I'm a gamer and its been years since I've needed to upgrade my computer to play a game, the game is Guild Wars 2. Need some help on updates I should get so this game can be playable to an extent that it is enjoyable!!! I am a college student so affordable would be nice!!

AMD Anthlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 3800+
2.00 GHz
Windows 7 Professional, 32-bit Operating System
3.00 GB RAM

Video Card- ATI Radeon HD 3600 Series

Any help would be great!!

:/ where to start. If you're solely going for gaming, then first thing you should upgrade is your graphics card.
even then, don't expect a big jump in performance because the rest of your system will be slowing it down.
What sort of budget can we work with?
and would you possibly be up for giving your entire system a facelift? (CPU, mobo, RAM, etc)

GW2 is quite CPU heavy so you're basically looking at an entire system overhaul...

GW2 is quite CPU heavy so you're basically looking at an entire system overhaul...

It's also not terribly GPU heavy for reasonable gameplay. Even my work machine can play it almost maxed out at 1920x1200 with just an i7+5870. You're definitely looking at a full system replacement - even one of the cheap DIY kits from Newegg or CompUSA would be a big upgrade - then you'd just need to replace the GPU on the new kit.

It's also not terribly GPU heavy for reasonable gameplay. Even my work machine can play it almost maxed out at 1920x1200 with just an i7+5870. You're definitely looking at a full system replacement - even one of the cheap DIY kits from Newegg or CompUSA would be a big upgrade - then you'd just need to replace the GPU on the new kit.

Would you actually be able to post some kits you would recommend off those sites! That would be amazing if you could, give me an idea of a price range. Also to what is needed to get etc. Would be appreciated

:/ where to start. If you're solely going for gaming, then first thing you should upgrade is your graphics card.
even then, don't expect a big jump in performance because the rest of your system will be slowing it down.
What sort of budget can we work with?
and would you possibly be up for giving your entire system a facelift? (CPU, mobo, RAM, etc)

I'm looking at around 300 probably, anything to at least make this game more enjoyable. Post your comments! Would like to see your opinion.

Try http:// www.tigerdirect.com Plus www. newegg.com. I know Tiger direct has a pretty decent kit for 299.00 and one for 199.00. They are not top of the line but maybe what you need. Look under bare bones kits at tiger direct.

The cheapest way to upgrade would be to find out if your motherboard (likely an AM2 one, from the looks of things) can support the new AM3 chips with a BIOS upgrade.

Find out your motherboard model and manufacturer. You can use this guide for this. Then check the manufacturer's website for a CPU Support List like this one.

If any AM3 processors are listed along with a BIOS number, then you're in luck. You simply need to upgrade your BIOS to the appropriate revision specified in the CPU Support List for it to support one of the new AM3 CPUs like this one. The motherboard manufacturer's support website usually has a link to the latest stable BIOS revision with instructions on how to perform the upgrade. Be very careful, or have someone experienced do this for you; if done wrong, it can potentially ruin your BIOS chip and\or brick your motherboard.

The next thing would be to get some extra RAM (you probably have DDR2 [confirm this via CPU-Z!], which is not commonplace, but not exactly very difficult to find either; this one will do nicely, I think) and maybe a 64-bit copy of Windows 7, because the 32-bit version you have cannot utilize more than 4GB of video memory and RAM combined (essentially, some of your RAM will remain un-utilized). Of course, since you're on a budget, you might want to get this later since it can add significantly to the total cost.

Last thing would be to upgrade the video card and power supply; I'd recommend this video card, although the power supply might be an issue if you have a pre-built OEM PC like a Dell or an HP. If you don't though, this one will do nicely.
All in all, you can do this for around $300, I think.

Of course, all of the above assumes you can actually upgrade your CPU without getting a new motherboard et al.

In the event you can't, check out this build:
screenshot20120921at629.png

Others may likely have better input, so wait for the posts to come in before making a decision.

Back