Upgrade

Summary:upgrade

Full Details:Hello, my PC is a diy set up and is i5 6600k 3.5ghz with an RX480 with 16 mb ram.

I just downloaded Cyberpunk from Steam I am enjoying it so far with no problem however my Adrenaline advisor suggests my GPU and CPU could do with an upgrade, now the upgrade it suggests is miles away from my budget I am not bothered about being the greatest gamer in the world and I do not play multiplayer so could I go to a i7 cpu and I have no idea of the heirarchy of GPUs Thanks

With prices of everything being beyond insane at the moment (especially graphics cards), I'd recommend not upgrading for a while - wait until the Summer to see if things settle down. If they don't... well, upgrading is going to be expensive for everyone.

That said, you could probably upgrade the CPU - swapping the Core i5-6600K for an i7-6800K, and that should tidy you over for a while. You can pick used ones off eBay for under £150 (link). It won't be massively better in older games (it actually might be slightly slower, if you don't overclock it) but it'll be better in recent titles, as it has more cores/threads.

Absolutely stick with the Radeon RX 480, for now. You're not going to get anything better, new or used, at a sensible price.

With prices of everything being beyond insane at the moment (especially graphics cards), I'd recommend not upgrading for a while - wait until the Summer to see if things settle down. If they don't... well, upgrading is going to be expensive for everyone.

That said, you could probably upgrade the CPU - swapping the Core i5-6600K for an i7-6800K, and that should tidy you over for a while. You can pick used ones off eBay for under £150 (link). It won't be massively better in older games (it actually might be slightly slower, if you don't overclock it) but it'll be better in recent titles, as it has more cores/threads.

Absolutely stick with the Radeon RX 480, for now. You're not going to get anything better, new or used, at a sensible price.

While most of your advice was helpful, Neeyik, you did make a mistake. The i7 6800K is a socket 2011-3 chip and not compatible with any motherboard that supports i5 6600K. His only option on that motherboard is a i7 6700K, and it's not a big step up at all, honestly.

Last edited:
Really, I would suggest riding it out a bit longer IF possible, or try to budget in a full system gutting, though hang on to existing GPU until you find a new one.

Edit : I am a bad example to tell anybody to wait (just bought all new core components to compliment a RTX 3090 was already using in older machine), though I am also a bad example to try to follow because I lucked out on my GPU needs, and CPU needs just this week became reasonable as well, but likely won't remain so.

Last edited:
While most of your advice was helpful, Neeyik, you did make a mistake. The i7 6800K is a socket 2011 chip and not compatible with any motherboard that supports i5 6600K. His only option on that motherboard is a i7 6700K, and it's not a big step up at all, honestly.
Oooh, good catch! Thanks for noticing (y) (Y)

Thanks people, playing Cyberpunk single player I am getting 43fps and the game plays well, I am just looking to buy Far cry 6 and Outriders hoping for the same

Thanks people, playing Cyberpunk single player I am getting 43fps and the game plays well, I am just looking to buy Far cry 6 and Outriders hoping for the same
Cyberpunk was the reason I jumped through hoops to ensure I had a RTX 3090 order in on it's launch day. Farcry can be rather CPU intensive, at least 5 and it's expansions can be.

While GPU is really hard to get upgraded right now, CPU has become pretty easy lately. If Intel is your go-to no matter what, building up a 10700K machine is very cost-effective right now, though will lean heavily on your cooling choices for it's best performance.

If Intel isn't a must have, then AMD is also readily available in MSRP price range, but that range is a tad above Intel pricing for similar level of performance. Unusual as it may be, Intel is the value and AMD the performance option at the moment.

Back