Upgrade???

Status
Not open for further replies.

peterock

Hi all, Someone just gave me a laptop. It's really old but in like new condition. It currently has a 266Mhz processor and 64mb of ram. This is why I got it for free. The laptop itself is a Toshiba I think its model is a Tecra 550CDT. My question is Can I upgrade this thing?? I don't need anything fast just better. I'm a mechanic and I would like to use it in the field for manuals and diaongistic tool. I know it's probably some old socket type motherboard, can I get an upgraded one? Any help would be great. thanks in advance

Replacing laptop processors is not generally doable. The cooling and mobo are designed for this specific CPU and even if you found a suitable replacement, opening up, removing and reattaching the heatsink etc will be a PITA.

You can probably upgrade the RAM to at least 128MB, which should make the thing usable with Win2k and alternative OS with GUI.

you can add more ram and a faster hard drive. max the ram out to 1gb if you can. The CPU probably cannot be upgraded. it will still run slow but it is ok for general office use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back