Upgrading Lenovo T61

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got the integrated t61 i see that the mobo has a pci express x16. Isn't it possible to connect a dedicated video card then?
any thoughts?

as well I have 2 GB of pc-5300 memory, is there any performance benefits if i plug in 4 gb of pc-6400 of mem or just 4 gb of pc-5300. meaning is there any way i can play with the mobo to get it to use the extra headroom..

i'm thinking of getting the T9300 core 2 also, for longer batt life etc.

You didn't mention your Lenovo Type number, but in general, Lenovo motherboards do not accept PC6400 modules unless they were designed to and ship that way. There are few flexibilities in the range that Lenovo boards will accept. It depends a lot on the quality and module designe of the pc6400 chips, and whether you are using VISTA, WXP, or WXP 64
How much memory your Windows OS will recognize depends on which version of Windows you are running. 32-bit versions of Windows will see (and utilize) only 3GB or 3.5GB, but my T-64 recognises 4 GB.. To utilize more memory, install a 64-bit version of your OS. More information about OS memory maximums can be found at http://www.crucial.com or at the www.lenovo.com site for your type number.

No way to change a laptops video card yet. Some high end laptop makers will have that technology available soon if they don't already. Not sure if you can use PC-6400 modules in the T61 but you will definitely notice a difference with 4GB as opposed to 2GB.

It's actually fast enough to play games, Just curious more than anything, the new X3100 drivers are pretty good.

I dont play games alot. just looking for more multtasking/ longer batt life.

Thinking of getting a SSD Drive that'd be sweet.

4 GB will get a bigger benefit i take it..

can't wait to get it!

I think the biggest SSD they make now is 256GB and it costs something like $2100....
32GB drives are more affordable at around $429 but still too expensive for me. they would be great in a laptop, almost no heat, very quiet and will save lots of battery power. Good luck with it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back