Upgrading main computer to Windows 8 and using my Windows 7 copy on another

Deery50

Hello, I wanted to upgrade my main computer to windows 8 by buying it and installing it. But I want to use the windows 7 copy that is currently installed on my main computer on my secondary computer that is still on vista. I know how to find the product key which I have, but I don't have an actual physical disc copy of windows 7 so how will I install windows 7 without a disc with the product key I have?

So Pretty much I guess I have to get windows home premium ISO file and type in my product key. But I want to be sure I get this file legally. It means nothing without the product key anyway.

I don't know of a surefire legal way to get a Windows 7 image anymore (without re-paying for it). You might be best off trying to find a friend that you can borrow the disk from. Microsoft used to offer it for download, but I'm not sure if you could get it without buying a key at the same time, but in any case, I couldn't find that anymore since they are pushing Windows 8 pretty hard.

Is your copy of Windows 7, an OEM version? If so, then it is non-transferable.

You stated you didn't have a disk and could find your key, which brings up the question of whether you can transfer your license.

All OEM installs are bound to hardware in which they were installed and activated.

I have this site book mark. There are a lot of people who seem to misplace there recovery disks or have some how manage to corrupt there recovery partion. Due to virus and such. It comes in very handy.

Get the serial number from the bottom of your machine and maybe you can use it. but it may not be able to be transferred because it may notice a different mobo.

but it may not be able to be transferred because it may notice a different mobo.
Whether it does or not is irrelevant because of the terms stated within OEM license. Even an upgrade install becomes bound when upgrading an OEM version. Only full retail versions have transferable license. Successfully transferring an OEM license is forbidden within license agreement. With that said, their are probably thousands of people who are never called out and prosecuted on licensing issues.

Hello, I wanted to upgrade my main computer to windows 8 by buying it and installing it. But I want to use the windows 7 copy that is currently installed on my main computer on my secondary computer that is still on vista. I know how to find the product key which I have, but I don't have an actual physical disc copy of windows 7 so how will I install windows 7 without a disc with the product key I have?

So Pretty much I guess I have to get windows home premium ISO file and type in my product key. But I want to be sure I get this file legally. It means nothing without the product key anyway.

1. buy windows 8 from microsoft store.
the windows 8 installer files are saved in a hidden folder in C:\ESD\Windows.

2. create a bootable windows 8 dvd or bootable usb flash drive.

3. boot from windows 8 dvd/usb flash drive and install windows 8 on the second partition.
that way, you have a fully functional windows 7 side by side with windows 8 pro.
since you have a genuine windows 7/8, windows 8 will be activated in the background as soon as you have an internet connection.

Back