Upgrading my PC

Hello all, much is appreciated in reading my post..

Here is my issue... I recently bought a desktop from Best Buy ( Gateway SX 2110g-u308 ). I know for a fact that it has space to add extra memory as well as an extra PCI-e x16 slot for a new video card and PCI-e x1 for lan and such. I recently put extra memory and now my computer totals 8 gb. My processor is an AMD E-1 1200 1.40 Ghz. I am in the market for a new video card because the built in stock one doesn't allow me to play games like MW3 or UT3 and other similar first person shooters without lagging. I see a Video card at a decent price that has 2gb of dedicated memory on it... *now the Noob comes out* My question is, does my video card have to match my CPU speed? Or does it use its own memory. I was told many different things which is why I am confused to all hell.. Also, am I able to upgrade my CPU? I know I have to look for the socket type and all... I would appreciate teh guidance... Thanks to all who help!!!

- Noob -

Video card uses it's own memory. Things to look at:
- Will the power supply be enough?
- Will the CPU bottleneck it? In your case, your CPU is extremely low-end, so basically anything will hae the CPU as bottleneck.

You can upgrade to a 1.7GHz CPU (with a slightly better GPU). Not worth it though.

To be perfectly honest, I'd try returning the PC. To play games like you want, you're gonna have to spend a bit more money (or ,you got ripped off).

Back