Upgrading RAM Crashes Computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, I come to you with this problem that has been giving me grief for the past few days. I am attempting to upgrade the RAM on my computer from 256mB to 512 mB. Current there are two 128 sticks in there. If I add a 256 stick in a third slot, the pc will crash within two minutes. If I take out the 128's and leave just the 256 in, the pc works fine. The pc works fine with the two 128's by themselves. They are all SDRAM PC 133's. I have a Gateway with a Microstar MS-6330 K7T-Pro motherboard. (1.6 ghz). The max RAM capacity is 1.5 gb. 300W power supply (new) Any ideas?

Hi Dave
Had a similar prob with one of my pc's unsure if yours is the same but the stick of ram that was giving me greif was only single sided ram which didnt mix with my double sided ram but my pc refused to start if i had them in together .
hoped this helps if not hope someone else can cheers :)

Another possibility is simply that your board doesn't support 3 sticks. Check your user manual. Some only take 1, 2 or 4 sticks. 3 will lock your system up.

If you only have 3 slots, you can assume your motherboards supports 3 sticks, so that's not the problem.

Herbster's post above sounds like a high possibility. Did you look into that?

Try putting the largest capacity stik in Slot 1...refer to your MBoard manual to determine which slot is slot1.

patio. :cool:

irishdave23 said:
Hello, I come to you with this problem that has been giving me grief for the past few days. I am attempting to upgrade the RAM on my computer from 256mB to 512 mB. Current there are two 128 sticks in there. If I add a 256 stick in a third slot, the pc will crash within two minutes. If I take out the 128's and leave just the 256 in, the pc works fine. The pc works fine with the two 128's by themselves. They are all SDRAM PC 133's. I have a Gateway with a Microstar MS-6330 K7T-Pro motherboard. (1.6 ghz). The max RAM capacity is 1.5 gb. 300W power supply (new) Any ideas?

The M/B supports only 128mb x 3 modules not 256mb each module

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back