Upgrading ram

Status
Not open for further replies.
Enybody help, im just about to upgrade the ram on my cp from 256mb to 768mb of 2100 ddr, the only problem i have got is that i got told to take the 256mb out of the first ( DIMM ) socket and put the 512mb in their, then to put the 256mb in the second socket. I would of thought that it wouldent make eny diffrence. Please could sombody help... Thanks

I can't see why on Earth that would make any difference. Just add the memory that you wish you use. Provided it is compatible with your motherboard (you get some brand incompatibilities but its not common) then as long as you are buying the right type (DDR-SDRAM instead of SDRAM, unbuffered instead of registered ECC, etc and have checked this out with your motherboard manual) then there should be no problems.

Just press the module firmly into the slot. You should hear a kind of click as it fits in snugly. Then its done. Boot up and the memory check should show the increased RAM.

he thinks you have an nf2

the nforce boards a dual channel, and need like ram in each channel to double the bandwisdth......just take a look at your nanosecond reading as well as cas similarity on the physical chip itself, getting compatible ram is important

Re: he thinks you have an nf2

Originally posted by JSR
the nforce boards a dual channel, and need like ram in each channel to double the bandwisdth......just take a look at your nanosecond reading as well as cas similarity on the physical chip itself, getting compatible ram is important

Not only do you word things strangely, but geez man.. It's.. I'm... well... That's just weird!

i here ya

well, memory has an nanosecond reading on the wafer itself and what i was addressing was a compatibility issue when he buys............secondly, i misunderstood the intent of the question, thinking it was in order to sync for dual channel

Just Plop the 512 into another memory slot on the motherboard and you'll be ready to go. Don't listen to the dotman!!! =P

yeah do like everyone says,

it shouldn't matter what dimm slot you put your memory in. although one time i was upgrading some ram on my aunt's OEM board and it would only allow certain memory sizes in certain dimm slots. that is quirky (and dumb) but you gotta watch out with some OEM mobos. :rolleyes:

from dotman to nick

just roll one up and chill...........:D ..........most people ask this question of sequencing due to dual channel......where it does matter what your sequence is, slots 1&3 or 2&3........most opting for slots 2&3....i overestimated, overexagerated, miscalculated....... and didn't use enough dots..........but, was trying to help:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back