URGENT Help - Computer Dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
So yesterday, about 1 hour into a nice session of BF2, my computer just dies. I noticed that I lost VGA feed a half-second or so before the computer itself actually went out, but in the end the system just stopped running. It won't start up now, and of course I've tried all of the easy solutions (circuit breaker, running on another cord/outlet, checking voltage switches, etc.). The CPU heatsink seems to be in good place, and the computer is about 6 months old, so I figure that if the CPU were going to melt, it would've already done it. The motherboard shows no signs of scorch marks either. When I say it won't start up, I mean NOTHING happens when I hit the power button. No fans, no drives (optical or hard), no light, just the empty click of the useless button.

2 things I haven't tried:
Jumpering the power on/off pins on the motherboard - power buttons don't just give up the ghost, do they? And if that were the case, why would my computer have quit on me.

Clearing CMOS. Heard the suggestion in a forum, but no idea why it's relevant. Seems to be a POWER problem.

Replacing the battery.

Through a little reading, I've come to suspect that it's the PSU, especially because I just installed (from an old computer that I disassembled) another optical drive and a sound card - and all I had was a 450W case PSU. (I have an X-Blade case). My first question: is this the correct assessment?

So, in looking for a new PSU, I've found an extremely good deal on a ChiefMax brand 550W supply - 20ish dollars. Think it'll hold up for a few months?

I see this is a few days old, so I'll respond to confirm your assessment--the power supply. Not 100% sure, but that's where I'd start looking.
I don't know anything about a ChiefMax PSU.
Please post back if you've already solved the problem or when you do, and let us know what it was.

Strider

Here's an update:

The power supply came, so I opened my case, removed the old, and stuck the new in there. I reconnected the cables as best I could determine, and it's still a no-go. (Yes, the voltage is at the US setting, yes I have the switch on, yes it's plugged in). The power button is 100% correctly connected.

I plugged the old supply into the vivisected but still turn-on-able old dell I stole the aforementioned CD Drive and Sound card from, adn it doesn't work. I think that confirms that it was dead.

Anyhow, advice is appreciated on getting my computer to work again.

H-m-m-m... Two thoughts come to mind: when the PSU went, it took something with it. We hope that's not it.
What make CPU? I'm not current on this any more, but it used to be said that the AMD processors were sensitive to the quality of the PSU.
Are you still getting absolutely no signs of life? For troubleshooting purposes, you could try removing everything from the MB except the CPU. If the fans come on and it beeps at you, it's looking for memory. If it doesn't get this far, either the CPU or the MB is toast.
Good luck!

Yes, I have feared the first possibility myself. I do in fact have an AMD Athlon 64 3000+ - however, I wasn't exactly running a wonderfully brand-name PSU to begin with.

Yes, I'm still getting absolutely no signs of life. I've tried booting with and without all of the drives and cards I have, and no luck. Nothing with the RAM removed either.

Any way of verifying 100% that it's the Mobo or CPU? And if it is, what's the likelyhood that they zapped the 6600GT I have in there when they went?

(Also, could it be that the PSU murdered the battery?)

UPDATE: I tried the new PSU in that same old Dell. It doesn't work. Now, the Dell did originally have only an 85W PSU, but a 550W should still let it run, right? I.e. does this tell me the new PSU is faulty?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back