USB device driver problem - I think

I have an oldish embroidery machine that cannot "see" designs I bought online and loaded onto the USB memory stick. It's in the correct folder and in the correct sewing format. Due to the era of the embroidery machine's manufacture it will only accept a USB under 2GB and presumably slow - 1.1or perhaps 2 (but I've not been able to find that out for sure, anywhere).

I managed to source two new small capacity USB sticks and one worked on someone else's laptop and on mine the first time I used it... BUT thereafter the laptop (Dell pc, Win7) shows the files in place on the stick but the embroidery machine cannot "see" it. When I tried the other USB stick the laptop showed "Installing device driver" briefly which made me think perhaps it is trying to increase the speed of the USB to something my embroidery machine can't cope with.

Is there some way I can force my laptop to cease changing the read-speed of these USB sticks? Or am I speaking utter nonsense here? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Back