USB drive will not format

sol1109

Have an external WD USB/Fire Wire Combo drive. The 120GB IDE drive failed with constant clicking sounds when powered and a failure to load the USB driver. I opened the case and replaced the WD1200 with a new WD200JB IDE drive. The drive now loads USB correctly and appears in disk management as unformatted. When I proceed with formatting it either fails as incomplete or forever reports formatting but no hard drive activity is taking place. I have tried connecting it directly to the IDE connector on the motherboard and have the same result.

Sounds like the new hard disk might be faulty. I'd recommend you get a replacement from the place you purchased it from.

Especially if it will not format when connected via the motherboard using a PATA connector.

Thanks Leeky for the confirmation, I think I will give up on this. The replacement drive was given to me still sealed in its packaging but not purchased by me so it is not replacable in the normal fashion. Since it is a small size and obsolete technology I would rather put the money into a new external unit. I was trying to recycle this as a backup for a relatives PC.

The external enclosure could also be at fault. You could try to install the harddrive into the computer to see it will format that way. If it does you know the enclosure is at fault, if it doesn't the harddrive is bad.

Tried that, still no go. I did register with WD so I could process a warranty claim if the shipment cost is worth it.

Back