USB External HDD not working with DVD/DivX Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

suby007

Hey guys

I got a couple of Philips DVD/Divx players one is new and other is a slightly old model. both of them have USB interface also.
So when I connect my flash drive to watch movies from it, it works perfecto!
But when i connect my WD 400GB(WDML4000TN) external, the player says "device not supported".
I was reading somewhere that my hard drive needs to formatted like a USB flash drive maybe then it will work? If so then how should I format it? and what allocation unit size?

Or is there any other way to do this?

Please help me out here, Thanks alot!

Yeh I'm pretty sure thats all you need to do. The Philips players read directories on cds/dvds with divx/mpeg files on them just fine, so I don't see why you couldn't navigate directories on a hard drive.

hey I tried FAT32 and FAT formats, both dont work. the dvd player isnt detecting any external hard drive but flash drive seems to work fine.

so, any suggestions?thanks

Perhaps there is a size limit... Since you've tried different file systems I am guessing there isn't anything important left on the drive. I'd drop it to a 4 or 8 gig partition initially and see if it can read that, if it can, I'd go up to something like 30 gigs, if still good I'd go up to 120. There might be a problem after 127 gigs...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back