USB Issues (Drive X: is not formatted. Would you like to format it now?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, since last night I've been pretty confused with my computer. I got a new cam, tried getting the movies/pics off it by plugging it into the computer via USB cable, but it wouldnt work. I was given the "drive not formatted". I tried different ports, cables, and finally decided to plug in my MP3 player which worked fine a couple months ago on it, and again it could not read it giving me the same error
I have checked the files on both these devices and they are fine and working. So what's the problem? I have no issue with a mouse or keyboard. Last time I used my webcam it was working too. So why can't it read data off of the mp3 player or cam?

The PC landed up infected with the XP Security Center 2010 virus a couple months ago and I was able to clean it and had to downgrade back to SP2, when I tried to upgrade back to SP3. I am not sure if this could be one of the reasons. I don't have the Windows XP CD that should have came with the computer. Anyways any ideas?

Windows XP
Intel Pentium 4

When it comes to USB and XP there all sort of un-answer questions. I personally think Microsoft knew of the issues and didn't bother to fix the problem in OS. So now your face with a question mark over your head. To fix this issue correctly and I know it's a real pain but techs will tell you the best way to take care of this issue and cut down on time to make is so number one. Would be to backup your files and then blow out the OS off the HDD and re-install a fresh copy of XP (home or pro) along with SP3. Best to have integrated version of XP SP3 though. Now you got a fresh OS and you won't have these crazy issues it USB.

I kinda figured I'd have to reinstall the OS. Sucks cause I don't have the CD which means i'll have to buy a new one. Wish Microsoft would have addressed these issues with fixes, patches or something.

One more thing to try before you attempt a reinstall (btw... are you for sure your malware is all gone? Be sure to scan all your files/folders so you don't reinfect a new install)

See if this might apply [post=815753]CD/DVD or Disk Problems? How to Fix Problems Caused by Filters[/post]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back