1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

USB Storage Size Issue

By Setfree ยท 9 replies
Nov 2, 2018
Post New Reply
  1. What's with USB sticks (from latest trade show) with lower than 70 MB of storage?

2. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Posts: 8,506   +553

If they're free, I'd say they're free "samples",

Setfree likes this.
  3. Setfree

Setfree TS Rookie Topic Starter

Actually I have been picking up free sample USB sticks at Innotech for almost 10 years, and the smallest one I ever got was 1GB. Usually the smallest was about 4GB. Until this year, I was getting 8GB ones. Never ever saw them smaller than a 100MB Zip Disk until now.

4. learninmypc

Almost everything was cheaper 10 years ago. Inflation costs go up, USB sizes go down. I dunno ?

Setfree likes this.
  5. Setfree

Thanks for the reply @learninmypc. Just found out from the vendor those were small drives and we got them by the quirk of a draw. Got mixed with larger drives. Anyway, he said sorry. I said well I just wondered if you guys got ripped off, I'm not ungrateful. He said he never saw them that small either. I told him here is another anomaly: I put a small 1.3kb text file on the drive and it shows that it is taking up almost 12MB of space! He said what? Go figure.

6. Cycloid Torus

Cycloid Torus Stone age computing. Posts: 3,591   +963

"He said what? Go figure." Umm, run your anti-virus.

Setfree likes this.
  7. learninmypc

Do what @Cycloid Torus says

Setfree likes this.
  8. Setfree

He said "What", I said "Go figure". Actually, Bitdefender did not find any threats on the disk...and thanks for that suggestion @Cycloid Torus. Also I reformatted it to no avail. Just a cheap drive.

MaikuTech likes this.
  9. MaikuTech

MaikuTech TS Maniac Posts: 864   +149

If that flash drive was infected bit defender would have picked up on it once sticking it in.

Setfree and Cycloid Torus like this.
  10. Setfree

Yes you are right @MaikuTech !