Use Your Gaming Laptop and Play On Battery Power? Is It Possible?

The solution is to play on lower settings and cap FPS at 30. I think has that kind of a feature in its Geforce Experience software.

I use an XPS15 with 1050 gpu and for the odd time I play away from my PSU it will do about 3 hours. Though with the usual reductions in performance. You could stretch it further but I have never felt the need.

I just got a "VR-ready" Alienware 17 with the Core i7 7820/ GTX 1080/32GB of RAM.

You are getting just over 2 hours out of that thing at max settings.

But considering how big and heavy it is, you aren't likely to be using it without a plug anyway cause it's more of a desktop replacement than a "laptop".

My new gaming laptop with a 1070 is essentially just a desktop replacement as I was too lazy/unwilling to move my desktop and a laptop fits nicely above it in an adjacent keyboard tray (lots of ventilation).

I never even really thought of even using the battery on my gaming laptop. Main benefit is portability and being able to move it without shutting it down.

Liked the article. Any chance of you doing this on more laptops? Would be interesting to see if there are any which provide playable frame rates with usable battery life, and how the low end solutions fare (the battery frame rates here seem around GeForce 1030 level).

Back