Uses of USB ports at the back of monitor..

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokem

Hi all,

I've got an ADI 6P monitor and noticed that there are 2 USB ports at the back of the monitor. Anyone knows what it's used for?

TIA.

Originally posted by lokem
Hi all,

I've got an ADI 6P monitor and noticed that there are 2 USB ports at the back of the monitor. Anyone knows what it's used for?

TIA.

It would seem that your monitor has a little USB hub in it... Could be useful for connection your mouse/keyboard, webcam, or whatever else you have that you'd like to position further away from the box than the cable allows (or just to keep a cleaner desktop...)

There should be a USB in somewhere on your monitor too...

.02$

Re: Re: Uses of USB ports at the back of monitor..

To quote from sharky extreme:
Finally, ADi was smart enough to include USB hub ports in the sides of the 6P, offering the easy addition or replacement of USB products without having to go into the "dungeon" (under the desk) to change the peripherals at the back of the PC.

To plug USB devices in so you don't have to gravel around on the floor in the dark to plug that silly device in....no muss no fuss...

Of course the next question is "what can I plug into my USB"

Or, "what do I use USB for"

Just kidding, I would hope you would know. :)

Thanks for the replies. So now what I can gather from all the posts is that its' for extending the USB ports from the mobo. But how can I plug in any device in there if the monitor isn't connected to the mobo in anyway (except for the monitor plug)?

Originally posted by boeingfixer

Well, there is a pletorial of different gadgets you can connect into your USB.. Ranging from Mp3 player's to joysticks to webcams to handhelds to Digital Cameras to scanners to printers to mice and keyboards to cdwriters to......

Allmost any gadget you buy today has the option of being connected to your pc with a USB cable...

Just make sure that if it says USB 2.0 on the package, that you're mobo/USB card supports it...

Sure... But I just couldn't resist it :D

Or, "what do I use USB for"

That I know :D I just have to get a few USB devices first :D

Thanks for the replies. So now what I can gather from all the posts is that its' for extending the USB ports from the mobo. But how can I plug in any device in there if the monitor isn't connected to the mobo in anyway (except for the monitor plug)?

As I didn't find any nice pics of the monitor, I'm just going to assume it's a USB in somewhere on your monitor too....

So what you need to do, is go into a computer store and buy a USB cable (with an "a" connection and a "b" connection)...
Then you just connect the cable to the mobo and the screen...

And so you have 2 working USB connections on your monitor...

I'll do a little more checking around to see if I can find out anything more specific...

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi

As I didn't find any nice pics of the monitor, I'm just going to assume it's a USB in somewhere on your monitor too....

So what you need to do, is go into a computer store and buy a USB cable (with an "a" connection and a "b" connection)...
Then you just connect the cable to the mobo and the screen...

And so you have 2 working USB connections on your monitor...

I'll do a little more checking around to see if I can find out anything more specific...

Now I get it ;) So those cables with a float head at one end and a more squarish head at the other end acts like a cross over cable?

Anyway, I just had a good look at the back of my monitor. It has not 2, but 4 USB ports ;)

My Samsung SM957DF 19" monitor has one USB connection at the back. Not a hub or an extra connection but it is actually so I can connect my monitor to my PC via USB (along with the standard monitor cable) and control all of its settings via a little piece of software and my mouse. I can get an option base with USB but since I have 4 ports already and not really that likely to get more than a Joystick, cordless mouse and keyboard, Oh and Sony network player... eeek with my monitor connected I am out of USB connections.... :eek:
Might have to invest in a USB 2.0 card.

Come to think of it, I think the ADI 6P is capable of being controlled via USB. It seems kinda pointless as I can just reach for the monitor controls right in front of me :D

Now I get it ;) So those cables with a float head at one end and a more squarish head at the other end acts like a cross over cable?

Or like an extension chord (if used with a hub or repeater....)

Anyway, I just had a good look at the back of my monitor. It has not 2, but 4 USB ports ;)

LOL! I was wondering about that, as all the info I could find about it said it was 4 USB ports... and one uplink...

Well, good luck connecting gadgets :D

To MrGaribaldi, and Lokem,

Thanks, that is what I needed after a long day. I like to see some humor. I do have USB devices too. :)

And I knew someone wouldn't be able to resist posting that.

I have come to really enjoy the forums here. I will from now on be a full fledged member.....I wanna see if I can make 1000.

Thanks everyone

Now if only I could figure out that dang link stuff at the bottom of my name ???

Now if only I could figure out that dang link stuff at the bottom of my name ???

Off Topic, but...

Have you tried using it this way?
[ url=<link here>] <insert text here> [/ url ]
Without the spaces? That's the way I insert links...

Just quote and copy this post to see the exact way:
My Rig

Off Topic, but...

My Rig

Ok here we go...lets try....how bout this

Off Topic, but...

My Rig

AHHHHH I FINALLY GOT IT.....Only 4 attempts...those darned spaces kept me baffled....THANK YOU MR. G

Sorry, I should've been clearer...

But... Allways happy to help :)

AHHHHH I FINALLY GOT IT.....Only 4 attempts...those darned spaces kept me baffled....THANK YOU MR. G

PS: Your signature is dynamic. It is updated on all posts automatically. You don't have to make a new post for it to update ;)

Hey Arris, and Mr G,

Yes I found that out when I was trying to fix it. I was posting so you guys could help me find my mistake. After I finally got it working right, I couldn't go back and delete the posts I made, sorry about all the posts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back