Using an Existing PST File in a New Outlook 2003 Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knot2Brite

Hello,

http://outlook-tips.net/howto/profile.htm gives instructions on how to use your existing PST data in a new profile.

I have tried at least 20 times to follow the instructions without success. I wonder if in the instructions a line of information has been omitted or if the names of functions or activities has been changed. For instance, I cannot find any way to "set it as the default" which is in the second line of instructions in the second paragraph.

I am hoping someone will recognize where there is an omission or give me instructions on how to interpret XP Pro SP3 and Outlook 2003.

Thank you

Bob

Are you using plain Outlook, or Outlook with Business Contact Manager

Outlook has always been a problem in Office 2003. Be sure you have the latest Office 2003 Service Pack which is Service Pack 3. The advanced Outlook uses a separate Service Pack 4... which I would NOT install unless you need it... as it will really screw up your system if you have installed in on a system that cannot use it.

at one time, several years ago, I tried the business contact manager but was dissatisfied. So currently I am usingwhat you called plain Outlook.

I do have service pack three installed.

While I easily create a new profile the instructions on how to continue using my existing PST file don't work. Either something's missing, and I'm not smart enough to recognize what it is, or there have been some changes to the software since the article was written.

I'll appreciate all the help I can get.

Be well

Bob

Hello and thank you for responding.

Your suggestion is completely new to me. I had assumed the procedure outlined in the reference hyperlink was the only way it could be done.

I am in over my head so please excuse my ignorant questions.

when you create a new profile does it create a new PST file?
if you import the data from old.PST into new.PST do you have to do anything with the e-mail settings so that new.PST is the receptacle for new e-mail?
I leave the originals of my e-mail on my ISPs server for 30 days. I guess I should use my firewall and initially blocked traffic so the new.PST does not needlessly download old e-mail. When I import old.PST all of the e-mail will be there. Does this sound like a logical procedure?
I assume that after you confirm everything is working properly you erase the old profile and the old.PST.

Thank you again for your interest

Bob

when you create a new profile does it create a new PST file?
if you import the data from old.PST into new.PST do you have to do anything with the e-mail settings so that new.PST is the receptacle for new e-mail?

locate your existing PST. Highlight "Personal Folders" on the left side of the screen, right click and select properties, then click advanced. There you will see the location and name of your PST file. Navigate to the folder (though my Computer) and copy the PST file to your desktop

Create a new profile (if necessary) I still dont know why you want a new profile..

Startup outlook. Create a new account (email settings such as login and password, server names etc).

I leave the originals of my e-mail on my ISPs server for 30 days.

If you wish to keep leaving your messages on the server you can change that setting now as follows:
Tools, Email accounts, View or Change, Next, Change, More Settings, Advanced, Leave a copy of messages on server.

Once your account is setup, select File, then Import from the main menu, locate your old PST file (on your desktop) and accept all the default settings to begin. That should be it..

I guess I should use my firewall and initially blocked traffic so the new.PST does not needlessly download old e-mail.

If you set it so that your messages are left on the server then this is not necessary. Whatever is on the server will remain there. Whatever was in your old PST file will be imported into the new PST file and will not be re downloaded.

When I import old.PST all of the e-mail will be there. Does this sound like a logical procedure?

That is correct

I assume that after you confirm everything is working properly you erase the old profile and the old.PST.

Dont mess with the profile that is handles automatically as for the PST file I would keep it around for a while as a backup in case something goes wrong

This series of problems occurs so frequently that I am convinced the problem is linked to the Service Pack 3. We see it so frequently among all our users when we perform a reinstall then use the Microsoft downloads.
But thanks to gguerra for some helpful advice.

Did you ever work out a solution. We have just seen two more installations of Office 2003 with Business Contact Manager with similar problems... And not until we installed the Office Service Pack 3.
When we uninstalled/ removed the Service Pack, the problem went away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back