Using dlink D2750U Wifi Modem/Router As a Wifi Router

Hi,

I recently bought dlink D2750U WIFI ADSL modem/router, for my ADSL internet connection.

But I have now changed my ISP, who provide internet via cable(not telephone line). The ISP guy provides a cable modem(old modem) along with it.

I have connected my PC this way:
Cable modem -> Router -> PC through RJ45. I am able to access internet from my PC, but I am not able to get wifi working on the router. And I am logging onto internet through a dial up connection.
Questions:
1) Please help in configuring the router to get wifi working.
2) Also, my default gateway seems to be either 0.0.0.0 or blank. So, I am not able to login to the modem unless I remove the modem connection. Please let me know if I am doing anything wrong here.

Here are a few more details:
Output of ipconfig: http://pastebin.com/Zr9Eb7L7

Hey Narain. The D-Link unit you have appears to be a combo unit (modem and wireless router) since it connects straight to the RJ-11 phone line. This unit won't work with an ISP that provides service by way of coax cable. The D-Link will work if you want to use DSL, but you need a cable service compatible modem or combo modem/router if you use cable service.

ftp://support.dlink.co.in/broadband/DSL-2750U/manual/DSL-2750U_C1_Manual_IN_1.00.pdf

Last edited:
Hey Narain. The D-Link unit you have appears to be a combo unit (modem and wireless router) since it connects straight to the RJ-11 phone line. This unit won't work with an ISP that provides service by way of coax cable. The D-Link will work if you want to use DSL, but you need a cable service compatible modem or combo modem/router if you use cable service.

ftp://support.dlink.co.in/broadband/DSL-2750U/manual/DSL-2750U_C1_Manual_IN_1.00.pdf

Thats bad! Since this Dlink router doesnt work, I am planning to buy another wireless router, Netgear WNR2000 N300.
1) Would this work?. It has WAN port. Reviews look good though.
2) Also if I change my ISP back again,will I be able to connect my ADSL modem to this new netgear router and use wireless connection. Will I be able to connect any modem(ADSL/cable) to this new netgear router to get the wifi working.

Please let me know. Thank you

Thank you. Also, I have an old TP LINK WR541G router, and it does have a WAN. When I connect, the following way, I am not able to get internet connection on my PC or wireless:
Cable Modem -->TP-LINK router --> PC

I set the network type to dynamic and tried enabling and disabling DHCP . But still couldnt get the internet or wireless to work. Please advice.

Thank you guys. I have got my old TP-link router working. I just selected PPPOE and cloned the mac address. Thanks again!

Hey Narain.
Q1. Yes, the Netgear would work with your cable internet service
Q2. No it won't work as your D-Link is a combo modem/router unit .If you had a separate DSL modem only, the Netgear would work as the input to a DSL modem is an RJ11 phone line, and it's output is an RJ45 Ethernet (and maybe a USB) connection which would connect to the WAN port of the Netgear wireless router and give you 4 wired Ethernet connections and wireless connection

Back