Valve announces new game 'Artifact' and fans lose their minds

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

Valve used the final match on Day 2 of the DotA 2 Championships to tease a new game. The game is called “Artifact” and it will be a card game based on Defense of the Ancients (DotA).

The teaser trailer (above) shown at the tournament does not give much away about the new title. However, Sean Plott, host of The International 2017 (Ti7) indicated that the game would be played on three boards. He also stated that it would involve barracks building, creeps and lanes. Lanes would suggest that the title will be similar to Clash Royale. The only other detail revealed about it is that it will be out sometime in 2018.

Card collecting games are fun, and there is the obvious continual revenue from card purchases involved, but many find it puzzling that Valve would choose to release yet another card-based game into this genre which is already saturated with copycats. Blizzard's Hearthstone is the big IP for this niche group of players. CD Project Red's Gwent, which is based off the card collecting game in The Witcher 3 is another variant that is doing well. Clash Royale, which seems to be the closest comparison to Artifact at this point has about 75 million players. So even though the genre is only a small sliver of the gaming market, it is clear that Valve wants a piece of that pie.

However, the announcement sparked fiery comments on YouTube and social media (yes, the game already has its own Twitter feed).

And those were just a few of the tamer tweets. Most are profanity-laced rants. Even the reaction from the Ti7 audience (below) was one of bewilderment, disappointment and then awkward laughter.

Not everyone, however, is disappointed with the prospect of a new card game.

However, the consensus from those who bothered to give reasoning to their anger is that they would rather see Valve sink its money into developing Half Life 3 or a brand new IP instead of tossing them a DotA-disguised Hearthstone clone. Even if it’s more like Clash Royale than Hearthstone, it is certainly not what most Valve fans were wanting or expecting of the company’s next project.

Good or bad, the game will be out in 2018, while Half Life 3 remains just a dream for those disappointed in the announcement.

Permalink to story.

"To many, it seems puzzling that Valve would choose to release another card-based game. Hearthstone is the developer’s primary IP for this niche group of players. Seeing that it just received its latest update just yesterday, many are wondering why Valve is choosing to release another title in a genre that is saturated with copycats and that only a select sliver of the market finds exciting."

This honestly makes it sound like the writer thinks that Valve made Hearthstone, even if it's partially cleared up later in the same paragraph.
Moreover, it's hard to understand why a company with huge brand and, more specifically, game loyalty (crowd booing aside) wouldn't release their own card game when CD Project Red have done an exceptional job with the standalone release of Gwent.

Card games are great, but there is only time for one in my life, and that place is aleady reserved by hearthstone, I really doubt valve can make this better than blizzard, and with all the investment in an existing card game, why would you switch to a new one?

This honestly makes it sound like the writer thinks that Valve made Hearthstone, even if it's partially cleared up later in the same paragraph.

I stopped reading there. I'll check the rest of the paragraph out now but that initial sentence jarred heavily.

Considering how popular Gwent has been for CD Projekt Red, I would not be surprised if this is not a way to steal market share away from that. I mean Gwent is being made into a successful high stakes esport now, and as DOTA is already a well entrenched esport, it sort of makes sense to try make a similar thing from the DOTA universe. Well thats my idea anyhow, I guess we will see how this pans out.

I don't understand how Valve has remained relevant for so long. They haven't released a single title worth a second glance since the HL series as far as I'm concerned. In fact the HL franchise was the ONLY games from them that ever interested me (and probably many others). I guess they do have their loyals though that keep them floated.

I don't understand how Valve has remained relevant for so long. They haven't released a single title worth a second glance since the HL series as far as I'm concerned. In fact the HL franchise was the ONLY games from them that ever interested me (and probably many others). I guess they do have their loyals though that keep them floated.
They don't have to have many games. They just need to maintain what they currently have, Dota 2 and CSGO and esports side of those games.

Half Life is definitely their most popular IP but they have others they could definitely push out a sequel for. Portal and Left 4 Dead come to mind but Valve appear to be content with leaving them all in stasis.
It looks like Valve are petrified of the number 3 :confused:

"To many, it seems puzzling that Valve would choose to release another card-based game. Hearthstone is the developer’s primary IP for this niche group of players. Seeing that it just received its latest update just yesterday, many are wondering why Valve is choosing to release another title in a genre that is saturated with copycats and that only a select sliver of the market finds exciting"

.....wat

You have got to be kidding me!!! Valve's big announcement, a card game!?!?!?

Who was the Brain Surgeon that wanted to do this? Has Valve completely lost their collective minds? What is this madness!?

Love the reaction of the crowd! Well deserved! Hope Valve looks at themselves in the mirror and see's the shame!

Walk of Shame = Valve

Wait - still holding my side from laughing!

I must be the only excited person for this announcement... I'm not a fan of hearthstone as its far to random for my liking and MTGO just doesn't do it for me visually. I have had some fun playing Faeria and Gwent recently, but would be completely open to a Dota inspired CCG/TCG.

Thank you very much for your feedback. You were absolutely correct. It did sound like that. I fixed it. Thanks for looking out. ;)

They don't have to have many games. They just need to maintain what they currently have, Dota 2 and CSGO and esports side of those games.
Don't forget they take a 30% cut from the Steam Store.

I don't see the big fuzz, why would a company want to make any money right?

They are all in for micro transactions, and this makes perfect sense. All of Valve popular games are heavily oriented to micro transactions (Dota, CS, TF), because this is what makes money.

Let's put it in simple terms, you have 10 people, you get two options, one of them is to put those 10 people into doing project X, which estimates to have a decent ROI, or project Y that has a superb ROI.

Valve is a business, and as one they are not there to bring the fun to gamers, they are there to make money.

I hope you mean 30% from their games and not each and every game. Mind you, with that said, I wouldn't put it past them to angle for something like that seeing that Steam was their brainchild.
Nope. I mean exactly what I said. Valve/Steam takes a 30% cut from every game sold on the Steam Store. It's similar to Apple's App Store business model. This is likely why Valve could care less about making games that fans want instead of ticking them off with a card game that will just generate more revenue for them.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for all companies making whatever money they can, and I really do understand why they are developing Artifact. However, the ca$h cow for Valve, that is Steam, is likely the primary reason we have not seen HL3. They don't NEED to produce it. They have a steady revenue stream and don't have the need or motivation to put out something new or a much desired sequel to the game that put them on the map.

Well if they can make a decent go of it, perhaps they will finally accumulate enough cash to finally deliver a sequel their most amazingly patient gamer base has been wanting.

They're just teasing us. playing hard to get.

or maybe they've decided they can just abuse the trust they developed over the early years. It definitely feels like Valve's rep has been eroding.

Personally, I'm just disappointed that this is the genre they chose to go with after such a long period of not making games. I don't think it's going to suck (Quite the opposite) and I do enjoy games like Hearthstone and MTG to a degree, I just think with all of Valve's resources they could have done far more than simply cash in on a trend. Heck, how cool would it be to see an entirely new FPS (Other than Half Life) or an RPG, the likes of which we've never seen before? They could have done it, but decided not to.

Regardless, I'm keeping an open mind. I'm not a mindless Valve fanboy, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until I know exactly what the game is going to be like.

It definitely feels like Valve's rep has been eroding.

And to what end, even? It seemed like they were doing perfectly fine for themselves financially speaking back when they were still the internet's darling, why would they go and screw that up? I just don't understand it. Oh well.

Well, Valve made Steam, that still the golden standart for gaming app store and seems like it will stay like this for some time, but In terms of games, seems like Valve really gave it up... But I'm happy with the way Steam works, so, f*ck it, forget the games Steam.

Back