Valve has just started the PC games race to zero

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Editor’s Note:
This is a guest post by Nicholas Lovell, founder of Gamesbrief, a blog dedicated to the business of games, and author of several books about making money in the games industry and other digital media.

Valve has just announced that developers will now be in charge of their own pricing on Steam. They can run sales, offer discounts and promote their games without talking to a Valve representative. This is the beginning of PC games prices drifting downwards, with an endpoint of zero. Here's why.

The marginal cost argument

In Chapter 3 of The Curve, I set out the economic arguments for why a digital product will tend towards a cost of zero over time. Broadly put, an economist named Joseph Bertrand established that, all things being equal, in a competitive market, the cost of a product falls over time to the marginal cost, driven predominantly by competition.

Let's imagine a shoe factory supplying shoes to one small town. Leaving aside the cost of the factory, the land and the equipment, the cost to make a pair of shoes is $1. Every extra pair of shoes made costs an extra dollar. Factory A decides to sell its shoes at $5.

An entrepreneur sees that there is an opportunity to make $4 for every $1 he invests in a pair of shoes. He borrows money to build a factory and buy equipment to make shoes. He wants to make sure that he gets some market share, so he decides to sell his shoes for $4, meaning that he only makes $3. His shoes are now 20% cheaper than his rivals. He gets all the customers. So Factory A cuts its prices to stay competitive to $3. The entrepreneur cuts his prices to $2 and so on and so on until, according to Bertrand Competition, prices stabilise when they can no longer afford to make one pair of shoes, the marginal cost, in this case, $1.

In the world of digital, the marginal cost is zero, or as close to zero as makes no odds. On iOS and Android, the AppStores swallow the distribution bandwidth costs, which means that the marginal cost is actually zero for many developers. In the world of PC, this is not yet true, but bandwidth costs keep falling, and the marginal cost, if not zero, is pretty small.

There is an issue with Bertrand Competition: it excludes the impact of marketing; it assumes that one pair of shoes is as good as another pair of shoes; it doesn't factor in the cost of comparison, or the cost of switching, all of which are real. But what it does say is that the thing that drives the cost of products down, particularly in the case of digital products with low marginal costs, is competition, not piracy. And by removing itself from the pricing process on Steam, Valve has just made its platform hyper-competitive.

The hardware argument

Free is the dominant price point on mobile platforms. Why? Because the two main players don't care much about making money from the sale of software, or even In-App Purchases (IAPs).

The Appstore is less than 1% of Apple's revenue. Apple has become one of the most valuable companies in the world on the strength of making high-margin, well-designed, highly-desirable hardware. One of the things that makes its hardware desirable is that there are over a million apps available for the platform, many of them for free, that extend the capabilities of the phone in a way that Apple might never have imagined. Steve Jobs wanted to enable the free price point for mobile apps because he hypothesised that having a competitive market of entrepreneurs striving to make their software work on his device would drive the desirability of his hardware. Boy, was he right.

Google didn't create Android to sell software. It built Android to create an economic moat. Google was dominant in the desktop and makes the majority of its revenue from advertising. It identified the very real threat that Internet usage and search was going to migrate to mobile and it needed to ensure that it did not get left behind. Android was its response.

In the case of both iOS and Android, keeping prices high for software would have been in direct opposition to the core businesses of Apple (hardware) and Google (search-related advertising). The only reason that ebooks are not yet free is that Amazon's core business is retail, not hardware. If Amazon believed it could make more money selling Kindles than selling ebooks, ebooks would be free. Console games are not going free because the business model of Sony and Microsoft is to subsidise the hardware and make their money back on the software. In this model, subsidising the hardware and taking the risk of free-upfront games seems too high for incumbents.

Which brings me to Steam. The Steambox is a competitor to consoles, created by Valve. It is supposed to provide an out-of-the-box PC gaming experience, although it struggles to compete on either price or on marketing with the consoles. It doesn't seem as if Steam is keen to subsidise the costs of the box, not to the level that Microsoft and Sony are.

But what if Steam's USP was thousands or tens of thousands of games for free? What if it competed with consoles by taking the Steve Jobs' approach of an open platform with the price set by developers (and hence likely to tend to free, according to Bertrand Competition). What if Steam *wants* the PC market to go to free because it will be a powerful competitive weapon as it battles the console manufacturers.

Then I would expect Steam to open Steam to many more developers (Greenlight), to make games available fast (Early Access) and to give the market control over pricing (developers set their own sales).

Which looks just like what is happening.

The new business model argument

But Steam is a retailer, you might cry. It makes its money from the 30% cut it takes from selling games in digital boxes.

Sort of.

Steam is also a successful free-to-play channel. It was an early experimenter with the business model in the West, with Team Fortress 2 staying consistently at the top of its own F2P charts. SuperDataResearch estimated that Team Fortress 2 made $139 million in In-App Purchases in 2013 alone. Other games like Stronghold Kingdoms from independent UK studio Firefly have been consistently high in Steam's F2P charts. (Disclaimer: I have worked on Stronghold Kingdoms since its inception).

Valve makes money from the In-App Purchases discovered through its platform. It also makes money from selling games upfront. If customers are becoming more comfortable downloading games for free than paying for them upfront, Valve can make money either way.

That doesn't mean I expect Valve to stop supporting paid games, in the same way that I don't expect Apple or Google to do so. I do mean that Valve seems likely to open the market to more developers, to more experimentation and to more price points to see what works for consumers and businesses alike.

It is my expectation that free, driven by the iron laws of competition, economics and technology, will win out.

That may be a meaningful competitive advantage as Valve tries to make the Steambox work.

Permalink to story.

This is a great idea, its going to bring game prices down and overall help developers do more and have more control over game pricing and everything in between.

I can't wait to see how things evolve because of this.

I do believe this might drive prices lower to some point, there are really really old games on steam that are on a same price point than blockbusters like L4D2 or whatnot. So I'm not sure how low it will be... but sure, lower.

So poor people have to grind and toil longer to reach the same point, just like real life hah!

I'm not familiar with Steam, but the free-to-play model makes for much different games than the console model. Console games cost millions to make, and that'll be far to big a risk to take on in-game purchaes being the only way to make the money back. If Steam games are to be free, will the developers put out big, comprehensive games like they do today? It sounds like the Steambox will be playing games similar to mobile games, just on better hardware.
One of the highest revenue generating free mobile games today is Clash of Clans (a real time strategy game). It's fun, sure, but it's nothing like Starcraft 2. Will developers make games like SC2 for a platform that will give it away?

@MilwaukeeMike You didnt get the point of the article, it will tend to 0, not comming in for free. As they start getting older newer games will come to life making them less competitive in the market so in order to stay in the sale point they'll have to start dropping the price. It will take a lot of time it's not a matter of days or months.

An example is old hardware, when they start making the new procs, mobos and ram the older models start dropping.

I don't see AAA games ever dropping to zero, not unless the console versions support in-app transactions too. Games cost upwards of $50 million dollars to make (this will be over $100 million by 2016 if trends keep steady.) Games with in-app transactions can retail at a cheaper price point when launched, and eventually go to F2P once the initial investment has been recovered. However single player/story based games will never become F2P. Games on steam usually drop to $5 or less (on sale,) after a year on the market anyway. I see that sticking around for a long time.

@MilwaukeeMike You didnt get the point of the article, it will tend to 0, not comming in for free. As they start getting older newer games will come to life making them less competitive in the market so in order to stay in the sale point they'll have to start dropping the price. It will take a lot of time it's not a matter of days or months.

An example is old hardware, when they start making the new procs, mobos and ram the older models start dropping.

No, hardware is different than digital products. When the article says "In the world of digital, the marginal cost is zero, or as close to zero as makes no odds" what he means is that the cost of each additional game is so close to free that it's hard to measure. 'Marginal cost' means each additional copy of a game, not each new game title. His argument is that because it doesn't cost a developer a single penny to sell an extra copy of a game, the games will eventually be free.

Your computer example is different. If you make RAM, it costs you money to make each one. If you make a game, it'll cost you a lot to make the first copy, but not a penny more to make a hundred more copies for digital distribution.

As @theBest11778 says I think this will result in AAA games not being on Steam. The high cost of development for those games will keep the sale cost up, even though the marginal cost is 0. I think this can be seen in cell phone carriers. How much does it really cost for each extra customer to use a network? Very little I'd guess, but the extremely high cost of that network (and support, which games also have) keeps up the monthly bill.

I don't see AAA games ever dropping to zero, not unless the console versions support in-app transactions too. Games cost upwards of $50 million dollars to make (this will be over $100 million by 2016 if trends keep steady.) Games with in-app transactions can retail at a cheaper price point when launched, and eventually go to F2P once the initial investment has been recovered. However single player/story based games will never become F2P. Games on steam usually drop to $5 or less (on sale,) after a year on the market anyway. I see that sticking around for a long time.

That's the beauty of it. They don't have to drop to zero, but they can if the publisher wants it to.

"It is my expectation that free, driven by the iron laws of competition, economics and technology, will win out."

This hasn't happened anywhere else in any market; I don't expect the same to occur with videogames.

"'Marginal cost' means each additional copy of a game, not each new game title. His argument is that because it doesn't cost a developer a single penny to sell an extra copy of a game, the games will eventually be free."

Which is why I don't find the author's argument persuasive. It may not cost more to build a game after the initial game has been developed and pressed, but the costs to develop the initial game are so high that prices will need to stay at such a level so as to recoup development costs.

People already have PC's with game libraries that dwarf the Linux library of games, so who in their right mind would buy another computer with Linux as an OS along with an inferior library? For free games? For indie games? More like free and indie games that suck in comparison to the established and dominate Windows library.

Not sure about the race to zero, but I don't see Steam boxes coming out on top as a result. I just don't. btw, Have you seen the prices of those announced Steam boxes?! The cost of PC hardware is already a detractor for console users, and these announced prices are not helping one bit, except for people already familiar with Linux. Think about it. We already have Windows PC's, in addition to consoles, and now you want people to buy a possible THIRD computer to play games, because it's better than a console, because it has backwards compatibility and better graphics? But what about the games themselves? How do they REALLY compare? They don't. Not yet, and not anytime soon.

I'm also not a fan of in-app purchases taking over. It's much better for me and my finances to pay a one time cost of ~$60 for a game and get everything (DLC not included), rather than in-app purchases that could bring that $60 up to $120 over time, and for what? Exclusive weapons and customizations? I'll quit gaming before it gets to that point, but that's just me. I used to play Simpsons Tapped out which is a free game with in-app purchases. After estimating that I spent $40 on those in-app purchases, I felt sick to my stomach and stopped putting any more money into the game and just went with what I could get by just playing the game. Two months later I uninstalled it. That's how I feel about in-app purchases in a nutshell. NOT a fan one bit. Especially when you see games like Star Trek Trexels mobile game. The game is already horrible, and the attempt to get even more money out of you is an insult to our intelligence. If that is where we are headed, then we are all f*cked.

Your hardware example is not exactly true. Older hardware seems to hold a baseline price pretty good for a long time. DDR2 memory is still over-priced. I keep thinking I'll double up my DDR2 memory on an old computer. And when I go bargain hunting it cost as much or more as DDR3. It's crazy.

Even the price difference in Intels SandyBridge, IvyBridge, and now Haswell CPUs remains pretty small between generations. You would think you could get a SandyBridge CPU really cheap now or at least cheaper than the more recent releases from Intel. Huh-uh. They are the same price or even higher.

As @theBest11778 says I think this will result in AAA games not being on Steam. The high cost of development for those games will keep the sale cost up, even though the marginal cost is 0. I think this can be seen in cell phone carriers. How much does it really cost for each extra customer to use a network? Very little I'd guess, but the extremely high cost of that network (and support, which games also have) keeps up the monthly bill.

Not sure about how your logic works. There are AAA titles all over Steam and they are sold at rock bottom prices all the time. Witcher 2 $5, Call of Duty series $10.00. Many triple AAA titles. No matter how good a game is upon release it will lose value over time. It's that simple. How does it lose value? Newer better games get released making it less attractive as a purchase. New games drive down the cost of old games.

The developers are in charge of their own pricing. Why does everybody think the world has just been turned upside down? New games will sell for a premium and go down in price over time. Nothing changes.

Not sure about how your logic works. There are AAA titles all over Steam and they are sold at rock bottom prices all the time. Witcher 2 $5, Call of Duty series $10.00. Many triple AAA titles. No matter how good a game is upon release it will lose value over time. It's that simple. How does it lose value? Newer better games get released making it less attractive as a purchase. New games drive down the cost of old games.

The developers are in charge of their own pricing. Why does everybody think the world has just been turned upside down? New games will sell for a premium and go down in price over time. Nothing changes.

The Witcher 2 is a five year old title; the Call of Duty series even older.

I believe Milwaukee Mike is referring to a nascent triple A title. There's no way that those titles are going to be sold at bargain bin prices.

So this is the reasoning why Microsoft is rumored to be offering a 'free windows 8.1 with Bing OS':
"It is my expectation that free, driven by the iron laws of competition, economics and technology, will win out."

The Witcher 2 is a five year old title; the Call of Duty series even older.

I believe Milwaukee Mike is referring to a nascent triple A title. There's no way that those titles are going to be sold at bargain bin prices.

Oh, you guys want new releases at $5 a pop huh? LOL. And I want Britney Spears for my girlfriend. We can all dream I guess. :) I am as happy as I can be and grateful when I see a game that was selling for $50 at one time selling on Steam for $5. Patience is the name of the game.

All I know is that I have bought so many top class games for such a cheap price that many remain unplayed in my steam library.

I could make a huge list of games but just a few examples are getting the latest Tomb Raider title that was released last year for about £7 and Dishonored I picked up for £5.

You can also pick up some great games in the charity humblebundles that link to you steam account.

Short of it is, if you can bare to hold on for a while after release then you can buy some great games for stupidly cheap prices. The only exceptions to the rules are multiplayer games that wou would want to play at release.

God... the logic... the comprehension... god...

Ok as Milwaukee goes, I won't even try making a point. It was an example, not something without marginal cost but something that actually lowered their prices based over TIME (Not days, more than a couple months, usually more than a year) because of new tech arrivals.

Of course DDR2 is expensive as hell, they don't make it anymore and people are still using dated computers that use them! My point was... hardware tend to lower, not go for free, they go as low as they can when they do sales to liquidate the stocks and after that they stop manufacturing the old parts.

Sandy, Hasswell, Ivy, Sucky, OF COURSE, THEY ARE NEW! And everything is the same just more power friendly and better integrated graphics and maybe just maybe 100mhz bump in the clocks. Compare now the FX series with the Athlon II's, THAT is the point of comparison with "old" technology. Compare iX Cores with Core2Duo, don't make a comparison of months of techonology apart. Examples, comprehension, understanding, not literally.

When everyone stops looking for details to tell how wrong everybody always is we will actually get to have good conversations that will build to something, instead of looking at the dots in the picture.

Your hardware example is not exactly true. Older hardware seems to hold a baseline price pretty good for a long time. DDR2 memory is still over-priced. I keep thinking I'll double up my DDR2 memory on an old computer. And when I go bargain hunting it cost as much or more as DDR3. It's crazy.

Even the price difference in Intels SandyBridge, IvyBridge, and now Haswell CPUs remains pretty small between generations. You would think you could get a SandyBridge CPU really cheap now or at least cheaper than the more recent releases from Intel. Huh-uh. They are the same price or even higher.

The hardware comparison is a tough one, because it's true and then it's not true. As new gen hardware enters the marketplace, or even get rumored that it's coming very soon, prices on existing gen stuff droops. Often this is to try to clear out existing inventory, but it's also because many are contemplating just waiting for the next big thing, so they have to make current hardware attractive enough to get people to buy. This little slope downward in price for older hardware lasts for a while, usually bottoms out, and then slowly starts rising again. This, as Kibaruk pointed out, is because production on the older hardware minimizes or stops altogether.

It then becomes a classic supply & demand situation - people with older hardware who need a spare part or replacement, but can't or won't update everything to newer tech, need that old legacy equipment. Those people then get to deal with the "rarity premium" prices required to pick up parts that are no longer made and can be very hard to find. The older the hardware, the more expensive it can be.

That is a big reason why the hardware and software pricing models diverge so much. If hardware isn't made any more, it becomes a case of rarity bumping prices up, not better technology causing prices to drop. In comparison, software can always be copied, even if it's not in "active marketing" any more. And it often ends up on services like Steam, where it is freely accessible to anyone (theoretically forever). In this case, older software shows its age compared to new titles, and there is no rarity effect, so the ease of acquiring and visible age ends up degrading the worth of the title over time.

Even with competition the lowest price seems to be either $1 (mobile) or $5 (PC). But if sales volume on certain titles drop to a certain threshold I can imagine switching those games over to a digital subscription-based service. It could function sort of like cable TV where all the entertainment creators split a set amount so many ways. Otherwise, I can see games becoming standalone $0 freeware if repackaged as a marketing ploy for a sequel (built-in ads and payments systems for the new game).

Even with competition the lowest price seems to be either $1 (mobile) or $5 (PC). But if sales volume on certain titles drop to a certain threshold I can imagine switching those games over to a digital subscription-based service. It could function sort of like cable TV where all the entertainment creators split a set amount so many ways. Otherwise, I can see games becoming standalone $0 freeware if repackaged as a marketing ploy for a sequel (built-in ads and payments systems for the new game).

I've seen great games go for as low as $2 (Like Killing Floor), whereas indie games go for as little in the tens of cents. Also you have to consider the games that have come in bundles, for example one of my favourite was the Warner Humble Bundle, which you could pay a single buck to get both Batman Arkham Asylum and Arkham City, Fear 1 and 2 I think, beating the average (Around $5-6) you got also Fear 3, Lord of the Rings, and whatnot, or the Origin Humble Bundle, which would get you Dead Space 3, Dead Space, Crysis 2 Maximum Edition, Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box, Medal of Honor, Mirror’s Edge, Red Alert 3 Uprising and if you beat the average ($5-6 again) you would get Battlefield 3 and The Sims 3.

Thanks @Vrmithrax for clarifying better than I could the hardware example.

Sales are a good thing , it's silly that companies like EA keep a game above £30 for a long time , even when it's clear nobody is interested at that price anymore , consoles are the same , there's loads of games I would have got a year after release if they were a bit cheaper but not when I can buy a new game for the same price.

I think steam sales have gone to far now though , its great for us consumers in the short term but long term steam could end up like a pound shop. It's going to reach the stage were its not worth investing in a full price game release. Also things like selling a game for 50% off when its an episodic game and only 1 part is out , or big price drops a few weeks after release. Your going to end up with nobody wanting to buy a new full price game which is bad in the long run.

There needs to be some rules to protect buyers on steam.

That's simply so not true in sooo many levels...

If "everyone" would wait a year or more until a sale to get a game, what Steam would or wouldn't do doesnt matter because the developers would stop producing games, this is the first logic fail.

The second logic fail is saying "everyone" when clearly... this is not the case, I have friends with whom I play ocasionally, and yes, we do wait some times for games to be on sale because they were not worth the full price. For example we are big fans of the Resident Evil series and buy them as soon as possible whatever their price is. Warhammer games are also totally worth paying for, and so on. It's more a matter of actually playing a game rather than being a cheap bastard.

The third logic fail, is the wait per se. Why we buy video games? My friends and I started paying for games when we wanted to play them online, after a year or so (Maybe less, sometimes a lot less) the games popularity diminishes and that means you are stuck with a couple handful of people to play the game online.

Btw, if "it's clear nobody is interested at that price anymore" trust me, they would lower the price to get sales again and proffit.

Back