Valve releases the Steam Controller's CAD files so people can mod it

midian182

Staff member

When the Steam Controller was released back in November, it didn’t prove to be as universally loved as Valve hoped. So now, the company is inviting people to make the device a bit more appealing by modding it themselves.

The gaming giant has just released the controller’s mechanical computer aided design plans for people to use under the creative commons license. All the external geometry files can be downloaded from the Steam Community page, or you can just get the .zip file from this link.

If you’ve got the technical skills, you can alter the look of the Steam Controller and even add some accessories to the device. Valve says users are free to 3D print and share as much as they want, but anyone who wants to sell their work must contact the company for permission first.

"The archive contains several eDrawings viewer files: from Creo Express and native Modelling, to neutral exchange and 3D print files – for compatibility with a wide variety of your design tools," explains Valve.

To get the ball rolling, Valve has released some of its own alternate designs for the controller’s battery door that have a space for holding the wireless USB receiver.

The Steam Controller is currently available on Steam for $50. Bringing traditional desktop functionality to a console-style gamepad was always going to be a challenge, and many users say the device's trackpad doesn’t offer the same enjoyable experience as using a mouse. But perhaps with the release of these CAD files, someone will be able to improve Valve's original design.

Permalink to story.

Too bad for that track pad thing they went with instead of dual analog like every other controller setup that has been tested and works really well. It's the only thing that has kept me from buying one of these, now if it could be modified to have dual analog and reconfigure the layout to be more like a PS3 controller with the analog sticks next to each other, not in some stupid offset configuration I'd buy one. But only Sony seems to have the right layout for me and they're controllers don't officially work on PC, so stupid, but wtv, I still prefer my mouse and keyboard for 90% of what I play on PC.

I have a great idea for a game controller, I call it the keyboard and mouse.

A keyboard and mouse is not an ideal setup when you're sitting on your couch though :(

I bought both a Steam controller and steam link. I prefer to use my M+K, but I have replaced my Xbox 360 controller with the Steam controller for when I'm out in the living room. It took about a month of using for me to get fully calibrated to using the touchpad and button placement. It's not foreveryone though as it requires a bit of tinkering to get everything setup correctly for your play style.

Too bad for that track pad thing they went with instead of dual analog like every other controller setup that has been tested and works really well. It's the only thing that has kept me from buying one of these, now if it could be modified to have dual analog and reconfigure the layout to be more like a PS3 controller with the analog sticks next to each other, not in some stupid offset configuration I'd buy one. But only Sony seems to have the right layout for me and they're controllers don't officially work on PC, so stupid, but wtv, I still prefer my mouse and keyboard for 90% of what I play on PC.

Shame the PS3 controller doesn't work with Windows. I used a PS1 controller with Windows back in the day, with an USB adapter from Radio Shack. It was great! Used it to play games on an emulator in Windows. Alas, I don't have that anymore, since I passed it down to my youngest sister. :)

Problem with the steam controller is that either M/K or xbox/PS4 controller is better depending on what you are doing. It's a middle ground that just isn't great for anything.

Its easy to argue that the mouse is superior input, but I always laugh when people say a keyboard is better than a joystick or trackpad for movement...

Shame the PS3 controller doesn't work with Windows. I used a PS1 controller with Windows back in the day, with an USB adapter from Radio Shack. It was great! Used it to play games on an emulator in Windows. Alas, I don't have that anymore, since I passed it down to my youngest sister. :)
There are programs that make the ds3 work on windows. And Id rather have that touchpad, it works as a mouse much better than an analogue stick.

I've used a PS3 controller and I'm busy using a PS4 controller on windows 10 with GTA V at the moment.
There are apps out there that fool windows into thinking it's an xbox controller.

Back