Vans' retro-themed Nintendo collection goes on sale tomorrow

midian182

Staff member

Nintendo isn’t the gaming powerhouse it once was. The company recorded consecutive losses from 2012 up until 2014, and sales of the Wii U and 3DS have been in decline recently.

The Japanese firm is pinning its hopes on next year’s NX console, and the new Legend of Zelda game, being a success. But it’s also looking at other money-generating avenues, such as mobile games, movies, and licensing deals, which president Tatsumi Kimishima said was key to growing the company.

Nintendo’s latest licensing venture is a partnership with Vans, the manufacturer famed for its skateboarding shoes, to produce a range of retro-themed products.

The Vans X Nintendo Classic footwear line, which briefly appeared on Euro sneaker store 43 Einhalb last month before being pulled, will be available from tomorrow. There will be 13 different styles, including variations of the Authentic, the Classic Slip-On and the Sk8-Hi, Old Skool, and Sk8-Hi Slim. Most of the shoes will be available in unisex sizes, and the range is only expected to be on sale for a short period of time

The shoes will feature prints from games such as Super Mario Bros., Duck Hunt, The Legend of Zelda, and Donkey Kong. There’ll also be images inspired by the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES), the company’s first ever console.

The footwear, which also come in children’s sizes, will feature logos, quotes from famous characters (“It’s Dangerous to go Alone! Take This”), and images on the tongues and soles.

In addition to the shoes, the collaboration will produce other Nintendo goodies, such as t-shirts, tank-tops, backpacks, flip-flops, bags, socks, and hats.

Prices for the shoes are expected to range from $37 to $70. They will be available on the Vans website and from select retailers in various countries.

Permalink to story.

I seriously hope people don't buy these to actually wear them, it would be a shame for such a limited item. The retail price isn't even too bad either, as a collector of Nintendo swag, or even a collector of Vans footwear, these would be a great addition to ones collection. The block breaker design isn't even that horrid looking.

I seriously hope people don't buy these to actually wear them, it would be a shame for such a limited item. The retail price isn't even too bad either, as a collector of Nintendo swag, or even a collector of Vans footwear, these would be a great addition to ones collection. The block breaker design isn't even that horrid looking.

Firstly, some people get as much enjoyment out of wearing something like this around as you get out of putting it on a shelf and never touching it. And secondly, if they did wear them around, that would only make your collection more valuable. What a self-centered (and dumb) comment.

Firstly, some people get as much enjoyment out of wearing something like this around as you get out of putting it on a shelf and never touching it. And secondly, if they did wear them around, that would only make your collection more valuable. What a self-centered (and dumb) comment.

You clearly don't grasp the concept of something being collectable having more value if it has never been worn/used/damaged, look up how much old GI Joes sell for unopened, actually anything really old, the better the condition the higher the value. Just because you're too blind to understand that doesn't bother me. Also you didn't seem to understand what I was meaning when I said "The block breaker design isn't even that horrid", the majority of these thing look pretty gaudy and that's why I was hoping people wouldn't actually wear them and just stick them on a shelve and allow them to appreciate.

Back