Various BSOD's, Memtest86+ failure, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks...please help me!

This is my first post, so bear with me if I sound *****ic. I'm also a literature major, so while I know computers reasonably well I am by no means an expert.

I got an Emachines T-6524 about a year ago. Being a *****, I couldn't wait to install my new Nvidia graphics card when the computer showed up, so I immediately voided the warranty and put the card in. Starting about 3 days later, I would get various BSODs (maybe once or twice a week, often when starting up an internet browser) including IRQ_LESS_THAN...etc., as well as ones with bugchecks of 50 and 07 (I think?). I had also added a 512 Ram stick from my old computer at the same time as the graphics card.

Anyway, I put up with it for a while, mostly because admitting that there was a problem would mean that I had let myself be ripped off - it hurt my pride. A couple of months ago, I got sick of it, ordered a new 512 stick of RAM after suspecting that an old one was bad, and swapped it in. The BSOD's continue. There are 2 other 512 sticks in there that came with the computer. Another thing I have noticed is that 2 sticks are running at 3-3-3-8 @200Mhz, while the third (new) one is at 3-4-4-8 @ 200 Mhz. Is this an issue that could cause BSODs???

Memtest 86+, after running for 3 days last week, showed 76 passes and 1 error. I have noticed that Ntfs.sys shows up quite a bit in the BSODs as a culprit. What is my next step? I want to swap out all the RAM and max it out at 4Gb, but if something else is wrong (graphics card memory, etc...) I'd rather get that in order first.

Any suggestions? I'm attaching the 3 most recent minidumps for your reference. Since these were made I have updated many drivers... Though they seem to be related to programs and not hardware... I dunno.

There's two issues here. First being an eMachines, the power supply may not be strong enough to power the Nvidia card properly. Second, run the system with just 1 stick of RAM. Are you sure the RAM you swapped is compatible with the less-than-good eMachines motherboard? The majority of the minidumps point to memory instability

Thanks for the lightning-fast reply!

I know that my power supply is 300W, and speedfan shows all rails running at the proper voltage...

I will try taking out the newer RAM and leaving in the two sticks that came with the comp... Is a few days a long enough testing period to know if it's working properly? Is there a way to know if the Nvidia card or my mobo RAM is at fault?

OK, I've been through the FAQS as you suggested. I guess that settles it. I got ripped off. :(

So far no problems with the PSU, but I'm going to replace it just to be sure since I checked it out and it's a made-in-taiwan cheapo model (http://www.thebuynowstore.biz/power/), and from the looks of things, after a year or so they tend to go on the fritz.

Any suggestions for a nice 350-400W replacement? Does motherboard compatibility factor in when replacing a PSU? or should it be OK as long as the pins match and it's an ATX model? I'm still a n00b at this stuff.

Also, i checked out my RAM slots and, lo and behold, two are blue and two are black. The two 512's in the blue slots are running in dual channel mode, and since i took out the single 512 that was all alone in a black slot, no BSOD's... so far. If indeed i needed to have matching pairs in this mobo, then maybe the extra single card was the problem? hmmm...

Any thoughts?

go to tomshardware and read their psu tests and ratings. Brands and quality vary considerably.

Whatever you do- do not get a generic no name PSU. That's asking for trouble. Also google PSU calculators to figure out your requirements and add 30% for cushion.

Any failures with memtest are not good. replace the ram. Read the updating ram guide in the guides forum.

djwackfriz said:
OK, I've been through the FAQS as you suggested. I guess that settles it. I got ripped off. :(

So far no problems with the PSU, but I'm going to replace it just to be sure since I checked it out and it's a made-in-taiwan cheapo model (http://www.thebuynowstore.biz/power/), and from the looks of things, after a year or so they tend to go on the fritz.

Any suggestions for a nice 350-400W replacement? Does motherboard compatibility factor in when replacing a PSU? or should it be OK as long as the pins match and it's an ATX model? I'm still a n00b at this stuff.

Also, i checked out my RAM slots and, lo and behold, two are blue and two are black. The two 512's in the blue slots are running in dual channel mode, and since i took out the single 512 that was all alone in a black slot, no BSOD's... so far. If indeed i needed to have matching pairs in this mobo, then maybe the extra single card was the problem? hmmm...

Any thoughts?

Yes the single memory module could have caused the BSOD's. Just leave the 2-512 modules in for now. Does the Nvidia video card need a power plug from the power supply attached? You may not need a power supply right now, but eMachines are noted for very poor components, especially motherboards and power supplies.

Good luck and keeps us informed on the system and how it is running

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back