Verizon achieves goal of 30 5G cities by the end of 2019

Shawn Knight

Staff member
Why it matters: Talk about cutting it close. Just days ahead of its self-imposed deadline of the end of the year, Verizon on Monday rolled out 5G ultra wideband service in three additional cities, pushing the total number of installed cities beyond 30.

Cleveland and Columbus, Ohio, and Hampton Roads, Virginia, were the latest cities to get Verizon’s 5G service which now includes 31 in total. Verizon’s initial goal was to reach 30 5G-capable cities by the end of 2019. Talk about cutting it close.

Verizon flipped the switch in Los Angeles earlier this month before adding a whole host of additional cities to the mix just last week including Charlotte and Greensboro, North Carolina; Grand Rapids, Michigan; Miami, Florida; Salt Lake City, Utah and Spokane, Washington.

In Columbus, users will be able to tap into 5G service around various buildings on the campus of Ohio State University and even in the main ticketing area of the John Glenn Columbus International Airport. According to Verizon, this is the first US airport with live, commercially available 5G ultra wideband service.

Those in the Hampton Roads area can try out 5G in parts of downtown Norfolk, near the Boardwalk, at the Virginia Beach Hilltop Shopping Center and at Scope Coliseum, among other locations.

Users in Cleveland can access 5G in parts of the downtown area and near landmarks like Progressive Field and the Great Lakes Science Center. The lower seating area at the NFL stadium is also now blanketed in 5G, we’re told.

If you happen to be in one of these areas and want to try out the speedy network for yourself, you’ll need one of seven 5G-enabled devices. Interested parties can learn more about Verizon’s stable of compatible devices over on its website.

Permalink to story.

Verizon won't even work in the office lunchroom in my building.

My question is whether or not their 5G penetration is better or worse than their current tech.

If I need a WiFi extender to make it work in my home/lab/office, is it worth the extra hassle/expense? Or, maybe, this is an opportunity to invest....

The limited range, high power, and radiation exposure (not nuclear) all are making the safety and value of 5G a very big concern .....

As of right now, I STILL cannot get a friggin 1-bar signal (1G, 2G, 3G OR 4G) when at work, and my office is exactly 3.162 miles from the 4 nearest towers, so how the hell do they think that 5Gxxx anything is gonna change that ???????

IMHO, this is just ANOTHER milk-laden PR stunt to get everyone to buy the latest & greatest UBER expensive 5G phones, so they can collect even MOAR money from every possible consumer....

And FYI: Yes Verizon is charging moar for both 5G plans AND 5G phones than everyone else is, so get ready for your bill to increase the second you connect :)

As of right now, I STILL cannot get a friggin 1-bar signal (1G, 2G, 3G OR 4G) when at work, and my office is exactly 3.162 miles from the 4 nearest towers, so how the hell do they think that 5Gxxx anything is gonna change that ???????

IMHO, this is just ANOTHER milk-laden PR stunt to get everyone to buy the latest & greatest UBER expensive 5G phones, so they can collect even MOAR money from every possible consumer....

And FYI: Yes Verizon is charging moar for both 5G plans AND 5G phones than everyone else is, so get ready for your bill to increase the second you connect :)

5g is free on Verizon. Are you getting charged? The phones cost the same everywhere, or else people would just buy unlocked and then pop in VZW SIM (which can still be done). Then if you have 5G capable phone, you connect and stream in 5G with *no extra cost* this is confirmed and tested by me fwiw.

But yes, 5G is SEVERELY limited, and NOT worth buy a specific phone for. Plus it doesn't penetrate buildings at all. So only getting benefit in public/wide open spaces (for now).

And yes, if you get crap signal in a building, 5G does nothing for that. There are bad spots anywhere, VZW/Sprint/AT&T etc...
Maybe some of your issues are phone related? Radios go bad, some phones are crap, And there are lemons even with the best of phones.

I will say, much like MKBHD noted, 5G is awesome, *if* you are within feet of the tower/access point. I hit 918mbps and was tickled to death, then walked 10 feet away and was back to regular 4g ;)

Maybe some of your issues are phone related? Radios go bad, some phones are crap, And there are lemons even with the best of phones.

No phone issues here, my Note 10+ is only a few months old, and when I go home (in a VERY small, boonies-area town no less), I get 5 full bars.....but my office is located right next to a major population center, go figure :)

No phone issues here, my Note 10+ is only a few months old, and when I go home (in a VERY small, boonies-area town no less), I get 5 full bars.....but my office is located right next to a major population center, go figure :)

VZW is *usually* the best for building penetration, but it happens. I just got hte s20 plus and it is my first samsung. I've been getting crap speeds in my office, whereas my pixel worked perfectly in office. Maybe something samsung is doing. Dunno.

Back