Verizon hits near 1Gbps speeds over existing FiOS network

Jos

Staff

Verizon announced it has completed a real-world field test of its fiber-optic FiOS network in which it pumped data at nearly 1Gbps speeds to an existing business customer subscribed to their gigabit passive optical network (GPON). The test involved running a separate fiber connection and gauging its speed using a local server as well as a server that was 400 miles away. Verizon claims the link topped at a 925Mbps to the local server and 800Mbps to the remote server.

What's more, the customer's existing FiOS service was left in place, and showed no degradation in the voice, data or video services during the trial according to the carrier. Verizon's platform can theoretically support up to 2.4Gbps downstream and 1.2Gbps upstream speeds. Because capacity is shared on the GPON node, real-life speeds are often significantly slower than theoretical maximums, but the demonstration still served to show that today's FiOS equipment can support higher bandwidth than those currently on offer without major changes to the network.

Verizon executives said the faster-speed services should allow the company to eventually offer a slew of new services that demand high-capacity network connections, such as "3DTV, ultra HDTV, multiplayer gaming and HD video conferencing." Verizon FiOS customers shouldn't expect this sort of speeds any time soon, though. The current offering will cost you $145 per month and tops at 50Mbps for downloads and 20Mbps for uploads.

Permalink to story.

Man our fastest here is rogers ultimate. $100 a month for 50mbps download and TWO mbps upload. So in the US the extra $45 bucks gets you 10 times faster upload than us. I know bell here has 7mbps upload but their download caps at 25mbps. It's a loss with either. And we have no other isps here in ontario afaik. Bell and rogers control our entire market.

OMGWTFBBQ !?!?!?!

in my country far far away , FTTH Costs:
10/10 Mbps costs 19EUR or 24$ ,
20/20 costs 28EUR or 36$
100/10 costs about 25EUR or 32.2$
50/50 costs 39EUR or 50$
100/100 costs 49 EUR 63,1$
200/200 costs 200 EUR or 257$
300/300 costs 300 EUR or 386$
500/500 costs 500EUR or 644$
1 Gbps costs 1000EUR or 1288$

And this is one company with it's temporary high prices because the company treats users good and ramps up everything it was close to going bankrupt so it had to make higher prices a bit so it was even more cheaper (about 90% of cities don't have FTTH yet so that's why userbase is limited) when the company originally launched FTTH in 2008 , the price for 10/10 was 14 EUR or 18$ , i don't remember the rest of the scheme.

used to these kind of prices lol , only 10 big corporations are in charge of the whole usa, pity, I do really feel sorry for you guys kind of.

And by the way "3DTV, ultra HDTV, multiplayer gaming and HD video conferencing." this is really nothing special.

Oh lol , blame my habbits , FIOS is a packet boundle of telephony internet and tv , of course the price all in one but boundels cost here like 33 Eur or 60Eur (80$ max) max if you choose to have all channels available and HD and adult and other... and ofcourse the internet speed , my experience is long , boundles come in a little cheaper but boundels SUCKS most of the time because you either can't edit the contents specifications or lots of interference and interruption because they channel you're house with everything through single server, if something's wrong you lost ALL 3 services.

For example here's the avreage 33EUR boundle (42$)

FTTH 10/10
IP TV plug with HDTV decoder and Channel Scheme S (small = 40 local-only programs)
10GB space for private recorder
Home phone plug with IP phone or basic ISDN plug without phone
SIM connected for calling and 50MB of data throught UMTS

If you're demanding (will be enough for premiums and gamers):

20/20 FTTH (unlimited 24/7)
3 HDTV plugs(3TVs possible) and all 180 Channels(contains 4 free HD channels) with 5 additional HD channels(add. costs about 10$) , adult and HBO optional (will increase the price)
2 home phone numbers (unlimited talking)
2 SIM for cell phone (unlimited talking)

For 75Eur or 96,6$ ,

Well i can't wait FTTH , over broadband is much costlier , charging for each tv really sucks, and i wiht 5 TVs in the house damn.

RuskiSnajper said:
OMGWTFBBQ !?!?!?!

in my country far far away , FTTH Costs:
10/10 Mbps costs 19EUR or 24$ ,
20/20 costs 28EUR or 36$
100/10 costs about 25EUR or 32.2$
50/50 costs 39EUR or 50$
100/100 costs 49 EUR 63,1$
200/200 costs 200 EUR or 257$
300/300 costs 300 EUR or 386$
500/500 costs 500EUR or 644$
1 Gbps costs 1000EUR or 1288$

And this is one company with it's temporary high prices because the company treats users good and ramps up everything it was close to going bankrupt so it had to make higher prices a bit so it was even more cheaper (about 90% of cities don't have FTTH yet so that's why userbase is limited) when the company originally launched FTTH in 2008 , the price for 10/10 was 14 EUR or 18$ , i don't remember the rest of the scheme.

used to these kind of prices lol , only 10 big corporations are in charge of the whole usa, pity, I do really feel sorry for you guys kind of.

And by the way "3DTV, ultra HDTV, multiplayer gaming and HD video conferencing." this is really nothing special.

Oh lol , blame my habbits , FIOS is a packet boundle of telephony internet and tv , of course the price all in one but boundels cost here like 33 Eur or 60Eur (80$ max) max if you choose to have all channels available and HD and adult and other... and ofcourse the internet speed , my experience is long , boundles come in a little cheaper but boundels SUCKS most of the time because you either can't edit the contents specifications or lots of interference and interruption because they channel you're house with everything through single server, if something's wrong you lost ALL 3 services.

For example here's the avreage 33EUR boundle (42$)

FTTH 10/10
IP TV plug with HDTV decoder and Channel Scheme S (small = 40 local-only programs)
10GB space for private recorder
Home phone plug with IP phone or basic ISDN plug without phone
SIM connected for calling and 50MB of data throught UMTS

If you're demanding (will be enough for premiums and gamers):

20/20 FTTH (unlimited 24/7)
3 HDTV plugs(3TVs possible) and all 180 Channels(contains 4 free HD channels) with 5 additional HD channels(add. costs about 10$) , adult and HBO optional (will increase the price)
2 home phone numbers (unlimited talking)
2 SIM for cell phone (unlimited talking)

For 75Eur or 96,6$ ,

Well i can't wait FTTH , over broadband is much costlier , charging for each tv really sucks, and i wiht 5 TVs in the house damn.

10/10 Mbps costs 19EUR or 24$. What the ****!!! Here that'll get you 512kbps down and 128kbps up.

RuskiSnajper said:
Really sorry to hear that , you might be living away from major city and the signal is weaker ?

I live right in kitchener. This is all over ontario. I've looked in almost every major city here and it's all the same.

So the big ISPs are focusing on getting faster speeds to the people that already have fast connections....

Nice.

Guest said:
So the big ISPs are focusing on getting faster speeds to the people that already have fast connections....

Nice.

Seriously. That guy above gets 100/10 for the price i pay for 512/128kbps. This is ****ing bullshit. I hope the FCC has some influence on what canada does. This is driving me ****ing crazy.

To the guy in kitchener i'm in mississauga. You cannot compare what some of those small european countries have for internet to Canada and the US. We have much bigger land mass with users spread out all over. The infastructure is totally different, no doubt we still are getting screwed for internet but you can't make a direct comparison without looking at the other factors!

Guest said:
To the guy in kitchener i'm in mississauga. You cannot compare what some of those small european countries have for internet to Canada and the US. We have much bigger land mass with users spread out all over. The infastructure is totally different, no doubt we still are getting screwed for internet but you can't make a direct comparison without looking at the other factors!

I AM MOVING TO EUROPE!

The article is in-accurate or I'm super special. I'm a FIOS customer in Maryland and I get 35 down/35 up for $80/month.

Well should not pretty much all optical fibre connections be able to support higher speed if built properly?
I'm on a 100/100Mbps fibre conenction here in Sweden at £30 or $45 per month, with no download caps...

But still I'd imagine it would just be a matter of exchanging the switching gear to get it up to a higher speed, I mean even Cat6 copper supports speeds up to 10GBPS as of 2006... (10GBASE-T, or IEEE 802.3an-2006)

insect said:
The article is in-accurate or I'm super special. I'm a FIOS customer in Maryland and I get 35 down/35 up for $80/month.

This article never stated anything about the prices of speeds. A commenter did.

princeton said:
This article never stated anything about the prices of speeds. A commenter did.

Except... in the last line of the article...

The current offering will cost you $145 per month and tops at 50Mbps for downloads and 20Mbps for uploads.

:( i am from Nepal.
I live in Kathmandu(capital city of Nepal). I am paying US$17.14 for 15KBPS download speed and 6KBPS upload speed. If you don't believe check http://speedtest.net/ result for nepal....its tooooo slow. :(

Back