Vertical white stripes on LCD monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopdog

I had an ugly accident with my Laptop the other day when I dropped my backpack from about 1 m above ground with the computer inside :(
When I turned it on it had some white stripes on the screen, as you can see on the attached screen shot (I drew the lines in Photoshop, since they don´t appear on a screen shot, but that´s how it looks). Obviously this is because of the computer´s fall, but I would like to know if someone can tell me if this is could be a problem with the LCD-screen, the graphics card or some loose connection?

I know it may be difficult to say without looking at the computer, but maybe someone can make a guess?

Thank you.

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 118
Uhm.. If the video chip was "dead", then it wouldn't show an image at all.
I would say it is the LCD - vidcard damage is usually "dirtier", not clean lines. The LCD is more likely to be damaged when you drop the laptop.

Are the lines always at the same location no matter if you are in Windows or booting up or in BIOS setup? If yes, then it's the LCD for sure.

Do you get any image corruption when you connect an external monitor? If yes, then it's the video controller.

Nodsu, usually if videochip is dying it shows stripes. but in this case, take my excuses, this is LCD failure indeed.

I agree with what you guys said but I wanted to add that I have seen similar stripes on laptop lcd screens (mostly dell) and it wasn't always the lcd or the video card. we had a few case were it was a loose connector on the board side and in some very few cases it was the cable to the lcd.

btw happy easter to you :)

The stripes are in the same location. When the screen turns on, they are dark grey at the beginning, and then turns white after a few seconds. They do not appear on an external monitor. Just in case this is my system configuration (report from Everest 4.20)
------------------------
--------[ EVEREST Ultimate Edition ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v4.20.1170
Benchmark Module 2.3.212.0
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer LAPTOP
Generator ADMIN
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 6.0.6000 (Vista Retail)
Date 2008-03-21
Time 17:13

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:
Computer Type ACPI x64-based PC (Mobile)
Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate
OS Service Pack -
Internet Explorer 7.0.6000.16386 (IE 7.0 - Vista)
DirectX DirectX 10.0
Computer Name LAPTOP
User Name ADMIN
Logon Domain Laptop
Date / Time 2008-03-21 / 17:13

Motherboard:
CPU Type Mobile DualCore Intel Core 2 Duo T7700, 2400 MHz (12 x 200)
Motherboard Name Compal IFL90
Motherboard Chipset Intel Crestline-PM PM965
System Memory 4096 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)
BIOS Type Phoenix (06/26/07)

Display:
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (512 MB)
Video Adapter NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT (512 MB)
3D Accelerator nVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT
Monitor LG Philips LP154WE2-TLA1 [15.4" LCD]

Multimedia:
Audio Adapter Realtek ALC268 @ Intel 82801HBM ICH8M - High Definition Audio Controller

Storage:
IDE Controller Intel(R) 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller
IDE Controller Intel(R) ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2850
IDE Controller Ricoh Memory Stick Controller
IDE Controller Ricoh SD/MMC Host Controller
Storage Controller Iniciador iSCSI de Microsoft
Storage Controller Intel(R) Flash Cache Logic Chip
Disk Drive IMD-0 (512 MB, IDE)
Disk Drive Kingston DataTravelerMini USB Device (980 MB, USB)
Disk Drive ST9160823AS (160 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)
Optical Drive Optiarc DVD RW AD-7530B ATA Device
SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:
C: (NTFS) 126449 MB (40233 MB free)
D: (NTFS) 26174 MB (15274 MB free)
Total Size 149.0 GB (54.2 GB free)

Input:
Keyboard Teclado estándar de 101/102 teclas o Microsoft Natural PS/2
Keyboard Teclado Microsoft eHome MCIR
Keyboard Teclado Microsoft eHome MCIR 109
Keyboard Teclas del Teclado de control remoto Microsoft eHome
Mouse Mouse compatible con HID
Mouse Mouse compatible PS/2

Network:
Primary IP Address 127.0.0.1
Primary MAC Address 00-1B-38-56-0B-6E
Network Adapter Gigabit Ethernet Broadcom NetLink (TM)
Modem Motorola SM56 Data Fax Modem

Peripherals:
Printer Bullzip PDF Printer
Printer Canon iP1800 series (Copiar 1)
Printer Canon iP1800 series
FireWire Controller Ricoh RL5C832 IEEE1394 Controller (PHY: Ricoh RL5C832)
USB1 Controller Intel 82801HBM ICH8M - USB Universal Host Controller
USB2 Controller Intel 82801HBM ICH8M - USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
USB2 Controller Intel 82801HBM ICH8M - USB2 Enhanced Host Controller
USB Device Dispositivo compuesto USB
USB Device Dispositivo de almacenamiento USB
USB Device Fingerprint Sensor
USB Device USB 2.0 Camera
Battery Adaptador de CA de Microsoft
Battery Batería con método de control compatible con ACPI de Microsoft

DMI:
DMI BIOS Vendor COMPAL
DMI BIOS Version 1.10
DMI System Manufacturer -
DMI System Product N/A
DMI System Version N/A
DMI System Serial Number N/A
DMI System UUID 176961C7-5D6911DC-ABD6001B-38560B6E
DMI Motherboard Manufacturer COMPAL
DMI Motherboard Product IFL90
DMI Motherboard Version REFERENCE
DMI Motherboard Serial Number N/A
DMI Chassis Manufacturer No Enclosure
DMI Chassis Version N/A
DMI Chassis Serial Number None
DMI Chassis Asset Tag -
DMI Chassis Type Notebook

I really hope so. How can I check this? Could I take of the cover and open the Notebook (I´m used to open computers, but mostly Desktop), or is this something I have to get someone to do for me?

What is the make and model number of this Notebook computer? Basically you have to remove the keyboard and the plastic piece that covers the top cover hinges. If you supply the make and model number many notebook manufacturers provide repair manuals on-line showing detailed pictures of disassembly and we can find this for you

you can purchase LCD kits online. But this is definitely not a project for a novice. I suggest getting it professionally repaired. The kits are cheap though, if you're interested.

Tmagic650 said:
What is the make and model number of this Notebook computer? Basically you have to remove the keyboard and the plastic piece that covers the top cover hinges. If you supply the make and model number many notebook manufacturers provide repair manuals on-line showing detailed pictures of disassembly and we can find this for you

Hey Lamo,
thanks for repeating my suggestion. Give me the make and model and I can find it for you too

lamo said:
tmagic, i don't need HMM for this model :) it doesn't contain any information i need.

That post was called "Sarcasm"... This means that I was joking, but I did get the point across about obtaining the service manual

I disassembled the LCD monitor, and checked the lvds-cable connections, but the problem persists, the white lines are still in the same place. Are there any other cables I should check, or anything else I can do? Is there any way to determine if the problem is a cable, the LCD monitor, GPU, or the inverter?

lopdog, if you've tried to clean LCD connector and received no results, so this is LCD failure. it's broken connection between LCD mainboard and liquid crystal glass panel. as i told above, this can't be repaired.

I think I´m giving up on this, must be an LCD failure. I´ll just have to save some money and do the repair. Does anyone know where I can buy an 1600x1050 15,4 monitor (compatible with Compal IFL90)? Or where can I start looking?

Sometimes it really takes a technician who is familiar with repairing laptops to fix problems like this... Bad LCD, cables are more common in older laptops though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back