Very low FPS GeForce 9800GT Intel Core 2 Duo E7500@2.93 GHz

Hi

I have the following games in my computer: Call of duty MW2, Black OPS, Assassins creed 2, FIFA 11, Batman Arkham Asylum.

My specs are: Intel Core 2 duo E7500@ 2.93 GHz, Nvidia GeForce 9800 gt, 2gb Ram, windows 7 home premiun

I been playing these games smoothly, even on high settings, but about a week ago something went wrong and the fps of all the games i mentioned, crashed. For example, in both call of duty the fps went from 60 to only 6, even with the lowest settings. I believed it was an update that caused this problem so i reinstalled the windows(deleting every file in the computer) and the problem still exists. I been looking like crazy for a solutions in forums, sites, etc...but so far, nothing useful.

Can you help me out with this? thanks

sounds like a possible overheating problem or the card itself could be going south. some 9800s are known to get very hot and fry themselves out within a couple of years. either that or this could indicate a problem with your power supply. do you know which one you are using? there are many reasons why graphics will crash and frame rates will slow down; since you've already gone ahead and reformatted with Windows once already... I think it's a safe bet that the problem is hardware related.

The power supply is Thermaltake Purepower 500w ATX 12v 2.2. However, i did buy and install but the power supply and the video card at the same time, about a year ago(january 2010). Is there is anyway i can test the card to be sure is overheating?

I would download HWMonitor then use the computer to create the issue again, watching the GPU temperature. Let us know the 3 temp readings for the card, and then we can let you know if its above average. It might be worth letting us know the voltages as well, we can see if they're in range then too.

On the plus side, if you do it ASAP you could return it under warranty before it expires. :)

i don´t know how to play the game full screen and watch that program at the same time, what i did is run the game and then press the "flag" the button(the one that opens windows star menu) and with the game(call of duty mw2) still running i got this lectures:

66° value, 55°min, 72 max°
1.05V 0.95V 1.05V

Your voltages might not possibly be reading correctly. Could you just double check and let us know the 3.33v + 5v + 12v readings please.

I wouldn't say 72'C is overly hot for that GPU, but I'd wait for confirmation from others first.

3.33v: 3.38V 3.36V 3.38V

5v: 5.09v 5.05v 5.09v

12v: 12.23 11.97v 12.23v

hope is useful and you can help me
thanks

Merry Christmas

Back