Very Slow Startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Opellio88

Hello Friends,

I'm having some trouble with the family pc. When I start up the computer, windows loads fine, but it runs extremely slow. For instance, if I try to close MSN messenger it takes somewhere around two minutes for it to do so. Trying to open up Internet Explorer takes about 5-10 minutes. As you might guess this is very annoying.

I don't have any errors or anything, and I have no idea what the culprit could be. Recently, I did install a new PSU in the system, and I used the forums here to make sure it worked. People replied that the voltage on the lines was lower than my original PSU, but max outputs are the same, and I was told the new PSU should work. If you could help me out that would be great...

P.S. The computer specs attached to my profile are not those of the system I'm having trouble with.

How much free space do you have left on the HDD?

Slow start-ups can be caused by either a large amount of programs loading up when logging on at start-up. Or a lot of fragmented files, if you run a defragmentation on your HDD.
This will compact files and make them contiguous, meaning files are easier for the HDD to find and the system to load up.

I suggest you use the msconfig utility to take everything off of starting at boot with the exception of: anti-virus program, firewall, touchpad if laptop and network process if on a network- "nothing" else!

Every program that starts at boot, runs in the background. This means 2 things to you: startup will be slowed down and activity will be compromised. The programs are stored on the hard drive. When they are running, they use RAM. Even with a suitable amount of RAM, the law of cyber things dictates that the more to startuo, the more that is running, the slower will be the pace:

Start> Run> type in 'msconfig' without the quotes> enter> Selective startup> Startup tab> uncheck everything except the programs mentioned> Apply> OK.

Reboot> Close the nag message after checking 'don't show this message again'.

If you need help identifying the processes:
1. Expand the Command column by holding the left mouse button down on the frame above the column and move to the right.
2. STARTUP APPLICATION DATABASE LIST
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
http://www.sysinfo.org/startuplist.php

This is a start- see what a difference it makes.

Thanks for all the help guys. I forgot to add that after the computer runs for about an hour, it runs just fine.

I'll try all the suggestions about the startup programs, but I don't think that is the case. This computer never had any problems booting before, and I'm not running any labor intensive programs.

Opellio88 said:
Thanks for all the help guys. I forgot to add that after the computer runs for about an hour, it runs just fine..

Now that is odd! It is also an important point. It may be that the new power supply isn't enough to get you started up. Was there some reason you went to less power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back