Very slow startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptitterington

I have been happy with my setup for a while now but startup has slowed down a lot.
I have installed and dumped loads of stuff but dont really want to wipe and start again.

I get to the desktop and then things load for about 2 mins before the hourglass goes away and everything is ok.

I am a little nervous about deleting things that may or may not be important.

I have run a number of spyware progs and removed any that were detected.
I run norton systemworks and regscrub and regcleaner.

I have taken some screenshots of the processes in taskmanager in the hope that you can spot something wrong going on.

Attachments

• screen03.jpg
    screen03.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 35
And again ... what one post every 75 seconds there must be some fast typers out there...

Attachments

• screen02.jpg
    screen02.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 16
make sure

no programs are loading together with your os at start up.........either msconfig the start up menu, or do as i do and use a start up manager..........if you're os is xp, you can use a tool called bootvis, supplied by msft to expediate boot times

I think you have to many programs starting with your computer. Not "programs programs" but some of theese icons and memory resident programs.

You should take out everything you can. SAgent2.exe, CloneCDTray, InCD, nisum.exe... etc. All of that programs normally have an option to disable the tray icon or the "start up with windows" checkbox. Be aware that any process that starts with windows will increase the time you'll have to wait untill you can use your pc.

Most of the programs like clonecd, kazaa, msn messenger by default start to with windows when you install them. Just think wich programs you will need at startup and which you won't. Clonecd can go out, msn maybe, kazaa can also go, as you won't be using it just at startup.

thanks for the replies,
Im working my way through.
It would be nice to find an easy way to find out what some things are, I know when I run reg cleaner that I have some unknown registry entries but last time i dumped stuff I had a lot of problems some that did not show up for a while.

well I have been working through the suggestions win xp through msconfig selective startup and have been checking out each item through pacsportal.co.uk a really good site but have not cut down the startup at all.

Could the main culprit be norton system and internet?

I had a similar problem once before when I had a HD connected but no power to it.

specs.

A7N8X gold duluxe
xp 2400
maxtor 30 gig 7200
maxtor 120 gig 7200
Ti 4200 graphics
onboard sound
IIyama vision master pro 454 19"
usual cd burner, dvd
connected to broadband 24/7
xp home all up to date
Latest bios