VGA vs DVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimbo.ati

hey jst wondering if i could have a few things clarified,

i have a decent fairly new lcd moniter without DVI output only VGA. my question is:
is there any 'Decent' difference in picture quality enough to say "hey that looks heaps better"? also if it is that kind of difference can i jst use an adaptor on my moniter lead to put into the g-fx card on the DVI plug and how exactly do i get the computer to pick up the DVI as the 'primary' display output over the standard VGA output ?

cheers!

my question is:
is there any 'Decent' difference in picture quality enough to say "hey that looks heaps better"?
Not as far as i can tell.. the only advantage of having DVI is it provides a better communication between the LCD and the card..

2nd q, there are adapters available for analogue to DVI and vice versa.

3rd q, setting whats what can be done through the Display Properties settings/Advance settings etc. If its only one display, it will auto pick up what plug its on, most of the time..

okay cheers its just ive been hearing alot of salesmen these days talking about how much better it is i thought to myself surely it couldnt be so much better to spend a good $100 extra and its not like they are getting rid of VGa tomorrow either.

i tryed plugging it in using the adaptor that came with my g-fx card x800gt pci-e and it was just a black screen im assuming i have to change its primary output somehow.

well in essence, the salesman is right, DVI provides a better connection between the PC and the LCD. It saves from having the signal converted from digital > analogue > digital, which can distort the signal sometimes.. keeping things all digital is better off.

The only test is if you can see the difference or not. That should be how you decide what technology to buy.

i tryed plugging it in using the adaptor that came with my g-fx card x800gt pci-e and it was just a black screen im assuming i have to change its primary output somehow.
Do you see any writing while you're booting up or is it just in windows?

N3051M said:
Not as far as i can tell.. the only advantage of having DVI is it provides a better communication between the LCD and the card..

2nd q, there are adapters available for analogue to DVI and vice versa.

3rd q, setting whats what can be done through the Display Properties settings/Advance settings etc. If its only one display, it will auto pick up what plug its on, most of the time..
Are there really adapters for VGA to DVI? I thought they only had DVI to VGA??

kimbo.ati said:
okay cheers its just ive been hearing alot of salesmen these days talking about how much better it is i thought to myself surely it couldnt be so much better to spend a good $100 extra and its not like they are getting rid of VGa tomorrow either.

Did you just install the card as well?

nope ive had the car running for sometime in my computer a friend upgraded to a DVI input lcd moniter and told me about how great it is so im considering if its worth the upgrade or worth using a dvi to vga converter.

Are there really adapters for VGA to DVI? I thought they only had DVI to VGA??
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&Type=&srchInDesc=dvi+vga&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=

Good old newegg.. now if only they open a shop or ship stuff down here..

anyways, down the bottom of the page somewhere.. but i think that as simple as just routing the correct pin-to-pin adapters are, they won't convert the signal to true digital (unless there's a device there). Hence why its easier to go the other way around (DVI>VGA), since you just take the existing analogue signal it gives anyway (theory. Don't take my word on it..). Anyways, it says there something about not compatible with DVI-D monitors..

nope ive had the car running for sometime in my computer a friend upgraded to a DVI input lcd moniter and told me about how great it is so im considering if its worth the upgrade or worth using a dvi to vga converter.
Well if you have one of these cards with only these connections for the monitor (blue ones): http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...deon+7000+64MB+DDR+AGP+2X/4X+Video+Card+-+OEM

i say don't bother, because the signal has already been converted to analogue. Putting an adapter will let you work the new LCD, but you won't be able to realize the full potential it [monitor] has.

BUT if you have any one of these connections (the white one) on your card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ShowI...56SB+Radeon+9250++DDR+PCI+Video+Card+-+Retail
Then yes, get the monitor with the better tech if you can afford it, as your card is going to give its best to it.

Its like a car's fuel system... The old cars use the Super or "Leaded Petrol" fuel(which i believe doesn't exist anymore.. just has compatible replacement fuel for them..). The dude can install the converter in his car so he can use the Unleaded petrol, but in the end, the converter just tricks the engine into thinking its using the good ol' leaded petrol (due to some magic :D), and hence the engine won't stall or have a meltdown due to the different chemical structure.
If you have a "newer" (relative to the above paragraph's) car with an engine that can take the more superior petrol in the first place (such as the BP ultimate/premium octane fuels), why not use it?

weird analogy, but those who live in australia and owns a car should kinda get what i mean.. Just trying to give a point that to get the maximum out of anything, you must keep it in the same format (digital>digital, analogue>analogue). That way you don't risk the side-effects of signal degradation/loss, etc. Although that said, won't stop anyone who still wants to use converters/adapters.

re. your black screen problem, check your cable or use the other connector or another monitor you know works to test. Troubleshoot. As far as i could tell, the monitor should be auto-detected, and while on booting up through BIOS/POST, it will send a cloned screen (same picture to every screen) to all capable graphics devices and their outputs (ie: video cards, graphic adapters etc.), showing some of those familiar words on booting up. Then windows takes over and thats where settings sometimes need to be changed manually.

Tell us, can you see the POST at all? or any words? Can you get into Window's Safe mode?

hmm okay thanks dude for all the help lol yes we are from the land down under haha kangaroos in my backyard for sure T_T lol. but yeah my g-fx card has the DVI output jst my moniter doesnt take it. so you say its not worth using an adapter and use my moniter (VGA) in the DVI port with a converter joining them ?

for analogue monitors you don't gain anything by using digital or analogue, so yes. just get yourself the adapter and use it.. save you a bit of cash..

if your monitor was digital then having the card with digital is preferable, but in reality, you don't see much of a difference (assuming you got monitors with same specs, one plugged in analogue and the other digital port) unless you've got eyes of an eagle..

but either case, the adapter's fine.. i've been using dual screens for a long time, both of my monitors only take the analogue/D-SUB connections while my card has one of each, so i'm using the adapter on the DVI and its still good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back