Video adapter or monitor?

Doug8765

I have an old monitor (actually, I have two old monitors, but the other one works just fine) that takes about 40 minutes to turn on with no flicker. Do I go out and buy another similar sized monitor or is there some test to determine if I need a new video adapter? Are video adapters even separate components anymore? My computer is a Dell XPS 8930 desktop. The monitor in question is a Samsung, no apparent markings to distinguish it.

Doug

You have a decent desktop so treat yourself to a new monitor. Spec and prices have come a long way and it's important to getting the most out of a PC. I'd certainly reconsider the size of the screen and its format when upgrading. My last purchase was a Dell P2419H and I am pleased with it.

Hi bazz2004 -
I use two monitors, so it helps if both are about the same size. That would be about 24".
When you write that you are please with your Dell P2419H monitor, what do you look for from the monitor? I don't see much difference from one monitor to the next.
Thanks for the recommendation and the feedback. Much appreciated.

Doug

Heck, I only buy a new monitor once in a blue moon. I’m sure there are loads of good choices. I liked the reviews for the one I chose. It also looked good value and was a little bigger than its predecessor. We all have to make our own decisions. Oh yes it has two USB ports on the side that are useful and adapts to the light in the evening - at least the brightness seems to be different at night. It’s not been chosen for gaming but for pretty basic tasks. No complaints from the wife who uses it more than me.

Hi bazz2004 -
I got a good price on a P27vG4 from Staples. That's a HP product. 27" diagonal. The price differential goes up at 30", at least from my cursory review of prices. It just came and I'll take a walk before setting it up. Thanks for your insights. Hope this one lasts like the last one.

Doug

Back