Video card compatible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

soboy123

Hi I am wondering if it matters what video card I place in my motherboards pci express slot.
Does it matter if its ddr2, ddr3, or hd.

Also whats the difference from pcie 2.0 x16 and pcie x1.
Does it matter which one I place it in?

In answer to your questions...

PCI-E card for PCI-E slot...

The cards memory (vRAM) makes no difference for compatibility, it can have DDR2, GDDR3, 4 or 5. "hd" isn't a memory standard...

Depending on how your third question is interpreted;
(a) PCIe x16 (2.0) has a theoretical bandwidth twice that of 1.0, 500mb/sec as opposed to 250mb/sec -multiply each by the 16 PCI lanes (hence PCIe x16) to get the theoretical bandwidth of the slot (8Gb/sec vs 4Gb/sec). Data transfer rate and base clock frequency are also doubled.In reality there is little difference between the two since most of the graphics functions are handled within the card itself. Slot bandwidth only comes into play where the graphics card and CPU need to communicate in an intensive manner.
(b) A PCIe x16, as shown above, offers a much greater bandwidth than does a single lane PCIe x1. Such a large reduction will impact graphics performance in a great amount of gaming scenarios. See this article for a comparison of real world PCIe bandwidth (The article is based on the then current 1.0 specification)....

Always place the graphics card into the primary PCIe x16 slot if you have two or more available. This slot is invariably the PCIe x16 slot closest to the chipset/CPU.

In fact, it does. Put it into the slot that it fits in.

Hi I am wondering if it matters what video card I place in my motherboards pci express slot.
No it doesn't matter; what matters is your power supply and making an informed choice.

Also whats the difference from pcie 2.0 x16 and pcie x1.

The ddr2 ddr3 and hd thing does not matter. Make sure you have a pci-e x16 slot and get a pci-e x16 card if you can. You must place the x16 in a x16 slot. Like kitty said make sure you meet the video cards psu requirements listed in the video card specs.

If you does not meet the requirements then you will need to change the PSU for the Pc to run well and normally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back